Author Topic: Crosby Herald Archives.  (Read 11046 times)

Offline josephinemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Crosby Herald Archives.
« on: Tuesday 29 November 05 13:46 GMT (UK) »
As part of a request for military records I have to obtain an obituary notice for John Myles Francis Crayton, died 1st March 1972, Great Crosby, Liverpool. Can anyone tell me where I can locate copies of the Crosby Herald? 'Jack' was a well known local publican. The George on Moor Lane, Royal Oak on Warren House Road and the Travelers Rest on New Ferry Road New Ferry Bebbington. He was also a boxer. I know nothing of his life as I  married his son after Jack was already dead. I am trying to compile a family history for my husband as a surprise but am getting nowhere with census records etc. Hence, am hoping to start with Crosby Herald. Would also love to hear from anyone who knew Jack from his Boxing or landlord days.   Please help. Josephine Crayton.
Brown.Allen.Cobb.Bradshaw.Platts.Shaw.Hawcroft.Rollinson.Bowering.Rawlinson.Crayton.Boardman.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.co.uk

Offline jan44

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Crosby Herald Archives.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 December 05 20:49 GMT (UK) »
 :)

Hi ,

you could ask Crosby Library

Their telephone number is 0151 257 6401

e-mail local-history.south@leisure.sefton.gov.uk

They hold lots of newspapers on microfilm

The best of luck

Jan
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robbo46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 December 05 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Litler > Ashton in Makerfield
Partington > Ashton in Makerfield
Crank > Ashton in Makerfield Lancs
Crank > Liverpool
Egan > Seaforth/Litherland Liverpool
Roberts > Litherland from 1916

Offline josephinemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 December 05 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Jan and Robbo. Will certainly try the contacts you suggest.Your replies are very much appreciated.Regards, Josephine.
Brown.Allen.Cobb.Bradshaw.Platts.Shaw.Hawcroft.Rollinson.Bowering.Rawlinson.Crayton.Boardman.

Offline TonyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 December 05 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Crosby Herald               17 March 1972, page 6

"Sudden death of 'The George' manager"

The sudden death of Mr.Myles Francis Crayton, manager of the George Hotel in Moor Lane, Crosby, came as a great shock to his wide circle of friends and patrons.

Mr.Crayton, who had previously been manager of the Travellers' Rest at New Ferry and the Royal Oak in Warrenhouse Road, Waterloo, had been employed by Threlfalls for 30 years.

The Rev.R. Lee (Vicar) officiated at the funeral service at St.Luke's Church, Crosby, and later at Thornton Crematorium.

Chief mourners were : Mrs.E Crayton (widow), Mr. and Mrs.J.Crayton, Mr. and Mrs.M.Crayton (sons and daughters-in-law), Mrs.C.Roberts (daughter),  Mrs.D.Crayton (mother), Mr.F.Crayton, Mr. Francis Crayton, and Mr. Bernard Crayton (brothers), Mr. and Mrs.D.Holburn (sister and brother-in-law), Mrs.J.Carr (aunt), Mr. and Mrs. Keay, Mr. and Mrs.Brieley, Mrs.Panes, Mr. and Mrs.Seeley (brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law).

Representing the staff of the George Hotel were Mr.Ben Sheward, Mr. and Mrs.Bradshaw, Mrs.Jack, Mr.S.Hilton, Mrs.Hoyte, Mrs.Laverty, Mrs.Platt and Mrs.Loughran.

Also present at the church were : Miss M.Heys (rep. the George Ladies' Quiz team and officials), Mr. Bill Morrison, Joseph Gardner, J.P., Mr. and Mrs.Phillips, Mr.J.H.Evans, Mr.Doyle, Mr.W.Willman (Threlfalls, Liverpool and Birkenhead), Mr.Smythe, Mr. and Mrs.Bradshaw, Mr. and Mrs.N.Green,, Mr. and Mrs.Bagley, T.B.P.A., Mrs.Jones, Mr. and Mrs.Evans (Endbutt Hotel), Mr.P.Sheward, Mr.F.Mathews, Mr.Redhead, Mrs.Thomson, Mr.F.Lea, Mrs.S.McAndrew, Mr.F.Moss, Mr.W.Swift, Captain R.Heys, Mrs.Mercer, Mr.G.Jones, Mrs.Gandy, Mr.J.H.Hughes, Mr.T.Ball (rep T.B.P.A. Crosby branch), Mr. and Mrs.J.Wall, Mr. and Mrs.Owen and Nigel, Mr.Wardle, Mrs.Forbes, Mr.J.A.Smith, Mrs.McCray, Mrs.Sealey, Mr.Frane, Mrs.Bradley, Miss Brook, Miss Whittingham, Mr. and Mrs.J.Telford, Mrs.Leyland, Mr.F.C.Jenkins, Mr.Roughley (Threlfalls), Mr.Ackesongray (Threlfalls), Mr.AF.Wills (Threlfalls), Mr.K.Carol (rep. Capt. Carol), Mr. and Mrs. Entwhistle, Mr.J.D.Roberts, Mr.H.Lodge, Mr.J.Keating, Mr.Myrlea, Mr.Curtis, Mr.Benson, Mr.Jones, Mr.Wensley, Mr.A.E.Curwen, Mr.T.Drury, Mr. and Mrs.Jordan (Birkey), Mr.Keating, Mrs.Heines.

Floral tributes were sent by:  Loving wife Esther; John and Marjorie and children; Myles and Susan; Collette and David; Jean, Keith and the boys; Betty, Frank and Nigel (New Ferry); Lil and Bill; Mr. and Mrs.Roberts and family; Frank, Bernard and Fred; Jack and Eve; Molly, Jean and Nell; Mr. and Mrs. J.Wardle; the Staff; Mr. and Mrs. Murphy; Members and Friends, Crosby branch Transatlantic B. and P. Association; Mother and Josie; Gladys, Nina, Ian and Wilson; Marion and Joe; Dorothy, Jean, and Veronica; Bernard, Maisie, Julian and Jayne; Lil and Tom; Committee of Cancer Research Campaign, Crosby and District branch; Pat, Gordon and Mrs.Pares; friends and staff of the George Hotel; Doree and Bill.

Arrangements by McCallum and Tritton.

Offline jan44

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 April 09 19:18 BST (UK) »

I know this is an old thread, but have you had much luck with your research?

I found the death registration and found his birth registration in 1914, MMN Harman.

I found this marriage also in 1914.

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1914
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
CRAYTON * John J HARMAN Margaret D West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool REG_WD/296/171

This was on the Lancashirebmd site, the star next to John J's name could indicate that he had been married before.

Jan

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josephinemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 April 09 10:03 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. Have traced both certificates now. Thanks to all who helped. Am still hoping to hear from boxing contacts and pub historians who may be able to help. Regards,Josephine

Offline josephinemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 April 09 10:04 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. Have traced both certificates now. Thanks to all who helped. Am still hoping to hear from boxing contacts and pub historians who may be able to help. Regards,Josephine