Author Topic: Parish records/Llanegwad Llanybydder  (Read 2258 times)

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Parish records/Llanegwad Llanybydder
« on: Wednesday 30 November 05 13:07 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the following:

Marriage between David Thomas/ Mary Morgans  1861-1865[/b

]Mary was living at Llettynwynde Farm Llanybydder in 1861 census as stepchild of John Davies so I am presuming that she was married in the parish of Llanybyther. After their marriage they lived at Cerbynau Farm (spelt many different ways!!) in the parish of Llanegwad, hamlet of Ystrad.

Death of David Thomas 1865-1870

David was living at Cerbynau with Mary at the time of their daughters birth August 1865
Later Mary remarried Stephen Roberts, another farmer - this appears in 1871 census and they remain at the farm Cerbynau.Llanegwad

David Thomas was my Great Grandfather and I know nothing about him other than he appears on my Grandmothers birth certificate (Elizabeth Thomas 1865)and later on her wedding certificate by which time he is deceased.

I shall be so grateful for any help as I have spent many hours searching but without success

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Parish records/Llanegwad Llanybydder
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 14:39 GMT (UK) »
MEN
I have the following marriage

Mary Morgans and David Thomas
Llandovery Mar 1868 11a/753

OR
Mary Morgans and Thomas Thomas
Llanelly Sep 1866 11a/898

Both are after the birth of the daughter you quote though.

Claudia

ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Claudia. The couple had two children The eldest was Sarah and she is mentioned on the 1871 census as eight years old, although I haven't been able to trace her either! I'm beginning to wonder if the BMD records for this period are lost.
I will keep your references as they might well be relevant!
Regards
Maureen

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 December 05 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi again MEN
Its a shame both of the surnames you have MORGANS and THOMAS are so common and there are no middle names to distinguish!!
I've looked for a Sarah Thomas and there are just loads, even when you narrow the search to Carmarthenshire!
I've also checked Sarah Morgans in case she was born before they married and there is one in both of the districts the two couples I've already quoted for the marriages occured

Sarah Morgans Deb 1862 Llanelly 11a/528
Sarah Morgans Dec 1862 Llandovery 11a/547

The only way to try for Sarah's birth, I think is to ask the register office which covers this area today to do a search for you over a 1 year period.  Search would be reuiqred on both the names Sarah Morgans ans Sarah Thomas with the names of her parents specified.

Good luck,
Claudia
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 December 05 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks again for your help Claudia. At the present time I am looking at Thomas' in the areas near the farm where Mary Morgans was brought up and also where she and David lived in the district of Ystrad Llanegwad. Perhaps I might have some luck in making a connection this way!
I do get confused with the districts Llanegwad, Llandilofawr and Llangathen - they all seem part and parcel of the same area.
On reflection I think Llanelly and Llandovery are too far away but I really do appreciate your help.
Kind regards
Maureen