Author Topic: White Swan Hotel Thirsk and Fauconberg Alms Coxwold.  (Read 1503 times)

Offline imeson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
White Swan Hotel Thirsk and Fauconberg Alms Coxwold.
« on: Sunday 04 December 05 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Any assistance appreciated, hit the proverbial brick wall with a John William WILSON b 1863/4 Beverley a publican. Found on all the census' except 1891. In 1904 his address was the White Swan Hotel Thirsk.
Also his sister Ada who married a Thomas HARDY last known address for her was 1901 census where Thomas occupation given as Innkeeper and address Fauconberg Alms, Coxwold. HELP

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
Re: White Swan Hotel Thirsk and Fauconberg Alms Coxwold.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 December 05 13:27 GMT (UK) »
On Yorkshire BMD there is an entry in 1863 Beverley for a John Williams Wilson (Could his mother have been Williams?)

Incidentally the Fauconburg Arms is still there in Coxwold -last I heard it was up for let - owned by the local Lord  (Wombwell I think the family name is)

Apologies if you knew this already

Susan
Crampton, Cook,  Bell, Pinkney, Curry, Duffey, Marshall, Smurthwaite, Urwin - Durham/North Yorks
Harrison - Northumberland
Rowland, Nicholson, Sneaton - Whitby
Athey, Ball, Lamb, Handley, Rymer, Duffey, Pool, Stringer, Wilkinson, Varley - West Yorks
Fisher - Essex

Cencus information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline imeson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: White Swan Hotel Thirsk and Fauconberg Alms Coxwold.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 December 05 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the info. No he was definitley John William wilson my grandfathers brother. I never knew my grandfather but have recollection of my father talking about Uncle John who had a silver tipped cane. Unfortunatley my father has been dead 20years and there are no living relatives to ask. As my father could remember him he must have still been alive around 1910 I imagine so wondered if anyone had any info on  him from his days at the White Swan and where did he go? and when did he die? Was he married and have children? All the usual questions. Kind regards.