Author Topic: Descendents of Walter Phillips  (Read 18097 times)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Descendents of Walter Phillips
« on: Tuesday 06 December 05 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I am searching for any information about Walter William Phillips born circa 1872 in Cardiff. I believe that he was the founder of Phillips Rubber Sole Company and also Phillips Yeast. I am interested in when and where he formed the Rubber Company and any leaflets or other information that may be available about the company over the last century.

Regards

Margaret :)

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Descendents of Walter Phillips
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 December 05 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret, there are a couple of advertisements in the Times for Phillips Yeast during 1933 - here what one said:
Rejuvenation without drugs. The real way to conquer indegestion, "nerves", rheumatism.
Phillips Yeast will work wonders for you. It revitalises your entire being and in a very short time brings back all your old vigour and energy - NOT by drugs, but in a perfectly natural and harmless way. Phillips yeast is pure and live. Taken with meals - just a few Granules or two small tablets - its action begins at once by regulating your digestion, restoring your nerves and purifying your blood. your ailments soon disappear: you fell full of vitality and years younger. all men and women over 35 should take a little PHILLIPS Yeast daily for 2 or 3 weeks in every month. Phillips yeast contains the life-giving vitamins B1 and B2 in fullest measure. INTERESTING BOOKLET post free from Phillips Yeast Products Ltd., Dept. T4, Park Royal Road, London N.W.10 or 150 Regent Street, W1.

Well Margaret, I don't know about you, but I think I am in the queue for some of this ;D :D

hope this helps
will see if the Rubber Sole Company is there also

Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 December 05 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Margaret, I think this legal notice relates to him from the Times of Saturday October 19th 1946:
Re Walter William Phillips Deceased persuant to the Trustee Act 1925. Notice is hereby given that all persons having claims against the estate of Walter William Phillips late of Oaklands, Dyke Road Avenue, Hove in the county of Sussex deceased [who died on the 22nd day of July 1946, by Douglas Hugh Granville Phillips, William Reginald Willison, Charles Edward Pettit and Kenneth Long-Brown the executors therin named] are required to send particulars, in writing, of their claims to the undersigned by the 22nd day of December 1946. [Pettit & Westlake 63-65 Baker St. London Solitors for the Executors

Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 December 05 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret - again :)
The Times seems to be a wealth of information on Phillips Rubber Soles - original business established 1898.
There is an article in October 9th 1926 which describes the flotation of Phillips Rubber Soles Limited and offer of shares.  It seems that the company was formed to take over the business and net assets  of the private company Phillips Rubbers Ltd and its three subsiduary companies. There are a number of other articles during 1926, 1927 and onwards about the financial aspects of the company -shares, etc.

There are adverts in the Times from the late twenties onwards an example from March 2nd 1928 says: Enjoy your walking. Get the fullest enjoyment and benefit  from walking by having your shoes fitted with Phillips Lighht Rubber Soles. They impart spring to your step and keep your feet dry and comfortable.

Can you see how similar it is to the other advert for the yeast! I think the  graphics used were also done by the same person

Lastly notice of death in Times says husband of Florence and father of Olive, Marjorie and Douglas. it gives his age at death as 74.

Surname Interests

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 December 05 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret, someone is selling a share certificate for Phillips Rubber Soles on e-bay and they have posted a picture of the certificate. Thought you might want to look at it for your research

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8362294840

Happy Christmas Turkey
Surname Interests

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 December 05 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret

Thank you so much for all that information. I am really mad that I didn't check my emails yesterday morning because the bids for the shares certificate closed yesterday lunchtime unsold and I would have put a bid in for it. Ce la vie.

It is amazing the information you have found about Walter Phillips I never seem to know where to look. You must be a researchers golden arm.

Thanks you so much for all the details you sent I just hope that I can reciprocate some time.

Regards

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 December 05 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret, I do hope the information helps. I know from my own past experience how just a little bit of extra info can sometimes make a real difference. I quite like taking a break from my own lot now and again and nosing around for other bits of info ;D

With regards to that share, it had been 'relisted' once already - probably no bids. It might be worth checking again in the new year as it may come up again. I noticed that the person selling it sells other share certificates so it must be their hobby/income source maybe?

Hope the info from the Times helps, post again if you need more detail on anything

best wishes and happy new year 2006

margaret :)
Surname Interests

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 December 05 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret

I have been searching the census for Walter and I am getting a little confused. On the 1901 census age 29 he gives his occupation as Boot and Shoe traveler. If the Times article is right then why doesn't he say he is a Rubber Manufacturer? Why is there such a large gap between then and when the adverts appear for what must have been two quite large companies and why such diverse products?

Have you got any ideas on how I could fill in the missing years? As I don't know where the companies were first formed it makes it difficult to find.  If you have time could you email me anything that is relevent to either company and that at least would give me a head start with the exhibition articles.

Thanks

Margaret :D

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 December 05 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret

I have just put another message out about Walter Phillips on the Sussex page hopefully someone may know about him. I have become totally absorbed in his story. With all the information you have given me it has made me even more curious about this self-made man.

Just done a bit of research for someone in London looking for a lost relative and found them within two minutes but the trouble with me is that I can't let go and have to keep moving back until I have done most of their family history for them. I seldom tell them that because it would spoil it for them but if I see another message a few days later I go back and help if I can.

This genealogy bug is a devil to get rid of isn't it? You keep scratching it and it makes it worse. Ha! Ha!

Regards

Margaret