Author Topic: Maryborough in Ontario  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Ron O

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Maryborough in Ontario
« on: Thursday 08 December 05 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Trying to establish year of death of my long lost uncle Ronald William Osgathorpe.  Buried in Hollen cemetery, Wellington.

Funeral took place on Friday March 24th, year not known, possibly early 1960s.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ron

Osgathorpe, Hill, Sheppard, Mison, Allway, Piper, Mitchell, Read, Gillmore, McCutcheon, Grosz.
UK, Canada, Australia.

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
Re: Maryborough in Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 December 05 03:24 GMT (UK) »
your uncle's cemetery record is online at OCFA. When you go there you will see a Reference Code. Just mark it down, then click on Field Codes, then Addresses. You will find the mailing address for the Wellington Co. OGS. That's where you send for the full transcript of his gravestone

http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/addresses.html
Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline Ron O

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 December 05 17:45 GMT (UK) »
eillo

Many thanks.

Have now managed to find the reference and will put pen to paper.  Hopefully it will not take too long to travel from Somerset to Canada and back.

Thanks again  :D
Osgathorpe, Hill, Sheppard, Mison, Allway, Piper, Mitchell, Read, Gillmore, McCutcheon, Grosz.
UK, Canada, Australia.

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 19:34 GMT (UK) »
I will be in Somerset this spring. We will be in crewkerne. Is there a stone you wanted transcribed?
Maybe you can give me a few picw of Mathiesons?

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I will be in Somerset this spring. We will be in crewkerne. Is there a stone you wanted transcribed?
Maybe you can give me a few picw of Mathiesons?

Vbain, this is a post from 2005 and the original poster has not been online since 2009.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Stephen G

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 March 21 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ron
 I hope you are still monitoring this post as I have some good news for you. I am Ronald Osgathorpe's grandson - Stephen Grosz and my mother is Francis Grosz nee Osgathorpe - Ron's eldest daughter. Ron and Hazel had two daughters Francis and Jeannie. Ron passed away from a heart attack at age 47 when I was only 3 years old so I have only a faint memory but I do know he was very well liked and respected by people in Hollen. Ron was very happy living in Hollen, Ont. and had a good job as the Conestoga dam operator - he was the first operator hired on the new dam that had just been built. I still have the steamer trunk that he packed up to immigrate to Canada as a farm hand. Ron was sent to an amazing farming family in Ontario - the Coles that treated him as their own son when he arrived in Canada. I know my aunt Jeannie would love to make further contact with you if possible to chat. Thanks Stephen Grosz

Offline Ron O

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 September 21 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen, just managed to catch up with Roots Chat, Have been offline for quite some time. Back in to if I can find an Osgathorpe - Osgathorp connection.
UK, Canada, Australia.