Author Topic: Cheshire Surname Research  (Read 138412 times)

Offline leslie48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Stalking the Dead--my favorite past-time!
    • View Profile
Dickinson and Whitaker
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 April 04 21:02 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information on my Dickinson family that came from Stockport/Dukinfield/Ashton Under Lyne area.  William Dickinson, born about 1814 and wife Sarah Whittaker, also born about 1814.  They married in Stockport in 1837.  Sons Thomas,  born in 1838 and Luke in 1842, both in Dukinfield.  They were christened in St. Michael's Church, Ashton Under Lyne.

The family came to America in 1843 and settled in Buffalo New York.

I have sent away for a copy of the marriage record of Wm and Sarah in hopes that it will list the parents names.

Any information appreciated.

Leslie in Florida
Researching:  Auld, Innes, Hay, Robertson and Morrison from Aberdeenshire, Scotland; and Dickinson and Whittaker from Cheshire and Lancashire England

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re:Cheshire Surname Research
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 April 04 14:30 BST (UK) »
Posted by: leslie48  Posted on: Yesterday at 09:02:29pm  
I'm looking for information on my Dickinson family that came from Stockport/Dukinfield/Ashton Under Lyne area.  William Dickinson, born about 1814 and wife Sarah Whittaker, also born about 1814.  They married in Stockport in 1837.  Sons Thomas,  born in 1838 and Luke in 1842, both in Dukinfield.  They were christened in St. Michael's Church, Ashton Under Lyne.

The family came to America in 1843 and settled in Buffalo New York.

Hi Leslie
With ref. to the above I have the following info. found in the 1841 census of Dukinfield Cheshire HO/107/109/3 p.19 address Old Road Dukinfield
Sam Whittaker      67      labourer      born in county
Sarah    ~             68                             ~   out of county
Wm Dickinson       26    gas founder      ~    ~    ~   ~
Sarah    ~             28                             ~   in county
Thomas ~              2                              ~    ~    ~
Luke      ~               3 months                ~    ~    ~
Good deed for today done
regards
peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 April 04 17:33 BST (UK) »
i am researching the Griffiths Family in the Cheshire Border area with Wales in the 19th Century,and also the Griffiths Family in Ellesmere Port from 1920 to date.
Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline walkupp

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 April 04 15:33 BST (UK) »
I live in the US, but my great-grandparents came from Cheshire.  Surnames I am researching are:
Johnson, Walker, Barnett, Reed

Any info would be appreciated.

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 April 04 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
  Are there any particular areas of Cheshire you have in mind
or any date periods
or particular person you need info on

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline stretchie

• RootsChat Member
  • FARMER'S - Birth of the Chemical Industry, Widnes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 May 04 09:50 BST (UK) »
STRETCH FAMILY - CHESTER.

Joseph Samuel STRETCH and Ann Edith DAVENPORT (Tarporley) - NORLEY area on 1881 Census.
George b.1880 / Jane b.1881 / Arthur b.1883 / Frederick b.1884

Connection to Cuddington Stretch's

Ann Stretch died in 1886 and Joseph married MARY COOPER, they had a son born 1896 - Joseph.

Joseph Samuel Stretch died in 1940 at the age of 82.

WOODS LANE, NORLEY 1881.
44 TRAFFORD ST, CHESTER IN 1901
62 TRAFFORD ST. IN 1907.

Connected to Delamere Station Cottage's 1880's
Farmer - Widnes, Runcorn.<br />Temperley - Runcorn, Frodsham.<br />Bell - Kingsley, Frodsham.<br />Bamber - Wigan, Widnes.<br />Stretch - Cheshire.<br />Vickers - Chester.<br />Hogg - Berwick, Chester.<br />Anyone with any interest in my names, please get in touch.

Offline June Thompson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 May 04 16:41 BST (UK) »
If you are researching families from Cheshire please state the Family and the area you are interested in.
MULLINER In Bridgemere/Wybunbury
June

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 15 May 04 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi June
 Welcome is there anything in particular that your wanting to find at the present timE.

peterbennett

Offline June Thompson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 15 May 04 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

Yes, I am trying to find Richard Mulliner who was born abt. 1836/7 at Wybunbury or Audlem.  I have found his family on the 1851 Census living at Woore, in Shropshire. His father William Mulliner was stated to have been born in Wybunbury, Cheshire (Aged 46 yrs)
his wife Mary & the older children  were stated to have been born in Audlem Cheshire, and the younger ones in Mucklestone, Shropshire. Richard is not on the Census with them.   At the age of 14 he could have been
working elsewhere. When Richard married 24.12.1861
at the Parish Church Wybunbury he was living at
Bridgemere, and his bride Esther Jackson was living at
Doddington. I believe Woore is only about a mile away from Bridgemere, but its moving from one County to another County.
I would appreciate any help you could give.
Regards,
June