Author Topic: Northampton Town and County School?  (Read 12590 times)

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Northampton Town and County School?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

Thanks for that information,  I will visit the park myself I think because I don't live too far away. 

I have visited Abington Park many times and I never knew about the trees - how unobservant am I?  :-[  I have also visited the Museum in the park many times - both with my children and now my grandchildren - and listened to the band on Sunday afternoons in Summer. 

I now have another reason to visit the Park :D

Maggie
I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie

Just a quickie as I am about to type the information re: G.M.Tebbutt.

It is his father Thomas Tebbutt who was the Mayor in 1877 of Northampton Town.

Cheers Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie

From the Northampton Independent  July 28th 1923 Pg 6.
As you say you live in the Town you can get a copy from the Central Library now you have the references.  :)
For anyone who is related but not in the said Town here is a summary of the  Article.

Death of Mr. G.M.Tebbutt, J.P. of "The Hollies" Cheyne Walk, Northampton.
Northampton's Senior Magistrate. He is noted as being the oldest Borough Magistrate in length of service. If he had lived until Thursday last he would have reached the great age of 85.

He was the eldest son of Alderman Thomas Tebbutt who was the Mayor of the Borough of Northampton in 1878 (Book on Mayors of Northampton notes 1877). The Tebbutt family had lived for many years in Earls Barton.
An ancestor of the deceased was Lord of the Manor of Whilton, nr Daventry.

He was associated with his father's shoe manufactory until 1872 when he started manufacturing himself in Robert Street, Northampton.
In 1889 he moved to more important premises in Clare Street where the business is still carried on. (As of 1923).
In 1912 it became a private limited company with the present Directors Albert E Tebbutt and his brother Alfred (sons of G.M. Tebbutt).

Mr Tebbutt was a member of the Local School Board from 1880 to 1885.
He was appointed Justice of the Peace in 1893, he was the oldest magistrate on the Northampton Bench.

In 1861 G.M. Tebbutt married Miss Sophia L Butt (a Folkstone Lady) a member of a well-known French family who came over to England from France in the great Huguenot removal. She died in 1918. He never got over her loss after being together 56 years.

Mr Tebbutt was a life long Liberal although he did not agree with the party on everything and took little active part in politics.

He was a Senior Deacon of  College Street Baptist Church.

He leaves 6 sons and 4 daughters too mourn his loss.
One son Thomas Percy died in the last year in British Columbia.

The funeral took place at the General Cemetery on Wednesday following a service at College Street Chapel.
The mourners were Mr and Mrs A.E.Tebbutt (son and d.in.law.)
Miss Tebbutt (daughter) Mr Alfred Tebbutt (son).
Mr and Mrs T.F.B. Owles (s.in.law and daughter)
Mr and Mrs D.P.Jessup (s.in.law and daughter)
Mr E.Spencer Tebbutt (son)
Mrs F.M.Tebbutt (d.in.law)
Mr F.T.Tebbutt (brother)
Mr Clement Tebbutt (grandson)

Although lots more personal information is noted I think your tree has just developed endless branches.

My fingers have begun to ache.  ;D Hubby has arrived with a cup of welcome tea.  ;D

Enjoy Sandy

Census Crown Copyright

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandy,

Thank you very much for all of that information - it is extremely interesting, and as you say, creates many more 'branches' to research.

My husband knows very little about his family other than little bits and pieces which were told to him as a boy, so this will be of particular interest to him.  Unfortunately, my husband has shown very little interest in tracing his family tree until now - prefering to see it as my 'little hobby'  ::) ::) but I'm sure this will change his view of the whole thing.  If it doesn't, I most certainly want to follow it up - after all they are my family too, albeit by marriage  :-\

Thank you again Sandy - enjoy your cuppa and rest your fingers...  :)

Kind regards,
Maggie
I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline John Hodges

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 20 August 16 09:50 BST (UK) »
Dear Maggie

By chance I happened to see your exchanges dated 2005 about your uncle who was at Northampton Town and County School. I was also a pupil there 1930's and 1940's.  I had a very gooid friend Sikmon Tebbutt whose family were boot and shoe manufacturers.

If you receive this message please respond - I would like to know what happened to Simon and where he is today.  Imayh be able to help you with further information.

John H