Author Topic: Canadian needle in a haystack  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Blue-Sten

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Canadian needle in a haystack
« on: Tuesday 13 December 05 23:06 GMT (UK) »
I have just been told that two of my relatives emigrated to Canada pre 1914, and wish to know a bit more about what became of them.

All I know is this (so it may be a bit of a wild goose-chase)

Mary Jane Berwick (b1879) and Eveline Berwick (b1891) both left for Canada pre 1914.  I do not know where but hope that somebody may be able to help me.

Supposedly, and a BIG supposedly, One of them - Mary Jane I'm told, died after being killed by a wolf or a big dog.  The story which goes with this is not too nice so I will spare you of the details.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.  :-\

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian needle in a haystack
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Nowadays, news about people being mauled by bears etc in Canada is always reported in the national newspapers.  I don't think we had national newspapers back then, but I would check the newspapers of the nearest bigger city, if you know what that was.  If not, I would check the newspapers in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.  For a fee, newspaper librarians will search their archives for you, I think.  Nowadays, the major papers would be the Globe and Mail (formerly The Globe), Toronto Star, Vancouver Sun, Montreal Gazette;  there would also have been Toronto Telegram at that time, but now defunct.  I would think that these papers would almost certainly have carried a story about this.
Worth emailing some city librarians for a start.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Do you know how old they were when they emigrated?

This could affect where you look.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blue-Sten

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 15:58 GMT (UK) »
I believe it was between 1901 and 1914 but as I've said all I've heard are these stories so have no definate details or dates.

I may never find these people and what happened to then but need to at least try.

What about Immigration records????

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 16:31 GMT (UK) »
You could check the 1901 census and the 1911 census which are on line.  Do a google search as I think parts have been indexed.

Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Also what area were they in?
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Immigration records for that period are not indexed, apart from the volunteer project here: http://members.shaw.ca/nanaimo.fhs/ (but they are not on that index, it only covers Quebec arrivals for parts of 1908-1910).

I thought that Eveline might possibly have been a Home Child, but couldn't see her on that index either.  Were these two sisters?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blue-Sten

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 December 05 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes, they were sisters. The rest of the family stayed in England.

I do not know which area they went to, just Canada ( I know it is a big place, hence the needle in a haystack)

They have one living relative that I know of. This is their great nephew, Frank Berwick who lives in Manchester.  He is 90 soon and am not sure if he will remember the smaller details.  He once mentioned that one of them was nick-named Queenie though I doubt this will help!

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 December 05 10:53 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

I checked the Vital Records for British Columbia and note that there were Berwicks here being born, marrying and dying but none with the names you had stipulated.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall