Author Topic: Cigarette Factory  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Ratty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Cigarette Factory
« on: Monday 19 December 05 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Might seem a bit of a strange question, but does anyone know the name of a cigarette factory which was operating in Norwich during WW2?  I have it from a couple of family sources that my gt uncle worked in a cigarette factoy in Norwich during the war but they couldn't remember the name of the company.
Donna
ALBONE - Bedfordshire and Medina area, New York State, USA, SAMUELS - Bedfordshire, COTTINGHAM - Huntingdonshire and Leicerstershire, CLAY - Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire, ASPITAL - Northamptonshire, SMITH, RATCLIFF - Staffordshire, BERESFORD - Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, WHYLER Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, VINE- Kent and Sussex, BUTLER - Norfolk, GEORGE - Norfolk and Northumberland, JOHNSON in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: Cigarette Factory
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 December 05 22:02 GMT (UK) »
 :)
There used to be a large tea and tabacco warehouse in Norwich called Lamberts Tea and Tabacco Warehouse in Hay Hill Norwich. Could this be where your uncle worked.
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ratty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 December 05 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ricky
Don't know but I'll try the name out with my uncle and see if it rings any bells!  Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Donna
ALBONE - Bedfordshire and Medina area, New York State, USA, SAMUELS - Bedfordshire, COTTINGHAM - Huntingdonshire and Leicerstershire, CLAY - Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire, ASPITAL - Northamptonshire, SMITH, RATCLIFF - Staffordshire, BERESFORD - Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, WHYLER Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, VINE- Kent and Sussex, BUTLER - Norfolk, GEORGE - Norfolk and Northumberland, JOHNSON in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 January 06 03:13 GMT (UK) »
I found a tobacco factory in Norwich in the early 1800s which became
a leather warehouse in 1890. www.museums.norfolk.gov.uk/default.asp?document=200.22.001.01&image=&SearchPref=a I am sorry I have been
unable to find anything in Norwich during World War II

All the Best, Christopher