Author Topic: Where was Ann HALL born?  (Read 1312 times)

Online Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Where was Ann HALL born?
« on: Tuesday 20 December 05 12:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to determine the birthplace of my gg grandmother Ann LAMONT. According to the birth certificate of her daughter Jane Caldwells LAMONT on 15 October 1855, she was Ann PAUL, age 33, born Glasgow (so born ca 1822) Her husband David LAMONT was the informant - he made his mark.

In the 1881 census she was living in Paradise Lane Dundee with her husband David LAMOND. Ann was aged 54, born Edinburgh, Edinburgh. (so born ca 1827)

According to her death certificate on 5 February 1885 at Dundee Royal Infirmary, she was aged 58, the daughter of John HALL (dec) and Mary KEMP. (so born ca 1827) The cause of death was an extensive burn to the left haunch. The informant was her husband.

So was Ann HALL (Paul) born in Glasgow or Edinburgh? I can't find any matches in the IGI. Any help gratefully received :-)
Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Ann HALL born?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 December 05 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

I'm going to confuse you further on the names front! I don't know if you have seen the IGI entry (actual extract from OPRs) for what looks like Ann's marriage to a David Lamond on 13 Nov 1843 in St Cuthberts, Edinburgh. Her father's name is down as James Hall not John.

Doing a search for her birth with James as father doesn't show any birth entries for her unfortunately.

Children for Ann and David Lamond/t showing on the IGI are: Janet 21 Apr 1845, David 25 June 1858, Ann 15 Apr 1861. All born in Dalkeith, Midlothian.

Regards.
Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 December 05 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Thanks for your reply. That's great news! I've only ever seen the IGI entry online, which doesn't have parents' names. I couldn't find a marriage for a John Hall and Mary Kemp but I did find one for a James Hall to Janet Kemp on 6 December 1803 in Dalkeith. If these are Ann's parents then she was most likely born in Dalkeith. The other children I found for this couple were Bethia Eliza Hall, born 16 Sep 1804, bapt 23 Sep 1804 Dalkeith and Jane Little Hall born 4 Feb 1817 Edinburgh.
Thanks, I did have those children plus one other - Jane Caldwells Lamont (my great grandmotheer) born 15 Oct 1855 (mother's name given as Ann Paul!)

Regards
Jan
England:
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 December 05 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

That's great. Have a look again at the on-line IGI entry for the marriage of Ann Hall and David Lamond, it does show her father's name (James).

Regards.
Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 December 05 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica, I just did :-) I'm sure it wasn't there before when I looked, probably a couple of years ago!
Happy New Year!
Jan
England: