Author Topic: Problems with "LEGACY"  (Read 3277 times)

Offline sharren1837

• RootsChat Senior
  • Time cannot change what went before
    • View Profile
Problems with "LEGACY"
« on: Wednesday 28 December 05 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Hope you all had a great chrimbo & santa delivered   ;)

I use Legacy 6SE (the free software) & as far as im aware i have the up-to-date version.  However, Legacy isnt loading & the message im getting is:

" run-time error '339'

Im using windows XP Professional.  Has anyone else been experiencing this problem?  How can i rectify this?  Any ideas anyone?

Kind regards, Sharren    :-*
BALDRIDGE: Yorks, BARNWELL: Warwicks & Yorks, CARASS: Yorks, DENT: Durham, Lewisham & Yorks, GIBSON: Pontefract & Yorks, SAWBRIDGE: Leicester & Yorks, WALTON: Yorks, WEBSTER: Yorks, YOUNG: Yorks.

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with "LEGACY"
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 December 05 04:31 GMT (UK) »
I also use Legacy version 6 standard and occassionally get the same runtime error. I use WIN 98. Anyway I got so mad with it, just last week, I sent a rather angry email to the Legacy website complaining about it.

The nice email I got back said that the most likely problem was that the version 6 may be crashing against a firewall. Which makes sense. I have a firewall on my PC, and version 6 uses a lot more memory resources than the earlier versions - mainly due to that extra News page they added which I think is SPAM. 

I find that Legacy now doesn't load up if you already have 2 or more windows open. Like I said, its to do with RAM memory resources. I usually open Legacy first before opening any other page.

If you are on a dial-up connection, you can turn the "news page" off so that its not linked to the internet - at least  I think thats what the email said. I havent figured out how to do this. I have cable, so I don't think I can do it since my PC is always connected.

If you want me to send you the whole email, just let me know and I will PM it to you. I dont think I should post the whole thing here for copyright reasons.

Hope this helps.

Burrow Digger.
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline sharren1837

• RootsChat Senior
  • Time cannot change what went before
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 December 05 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Burrow Digger,

Have just tried opening Legacy with no other windows open & its loaded & working fine, which is great news.  However, i can see it becoming a pain in the future, eg. you get an email from a GR contact asking about a relative & then you have to shut everything down just to open up legacy to check some facts, so you can email them back.   ???

ive also got a firewall (McAfee Personal Plus) but not too sure whether i need to change any of the settings etc, could end up in an even bigger mess  :o

I must admit that i dont see the point of the news page thats been added & since im on broadband, it seems from what you say that i wont be able to switch it off either, which is a pity.  ive checked their home page & i have got the latest version (Nov 05), wonder if the next update will deal with any of these issues, i do hope so.

Kind regards, Sharren

BALDRIDGE: Yorks, BARNWELL: Warwicks & Yorks, CARASS: Yorks, DENT: Durham, Lewisham & Yorks, GIBSON: Pontefract & Yorks, SAWBRIDGE: Leicester & Yorks, WALTON: Yorks, WEBSTER: Yorks, YOUNG: Yorks.

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 December 05 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Heres some help from the email, in case you want to follow it. :)

I don't know if you have been receiving Legacy News in the past, but  the Legacy Home tab now has the Legacy News so that we don't need to  clutter inboxes with the newsletter. 

Personally I would prefer to continue getting the newsletter by emails. :)

You can go to Options >  Customize > General and select which view you'd like to start with and you can completely ignore the Legacy Home tab if you don't wish to view the  Legacy News.

This changes the opening tab to Family so that Legacy opens with the Family page rather than the News page However the News page is still there and using resources, and crashing with firewalls.

You can also click on the Options button when on the Legacy tab and  select Options > Internet Options and select "Never check the internet unless  a link is clicked" - then you won't see the Legacy News at all!

On the News page click the OPTIONS button at top right and then check the "never connect to internet" button. It actually says that it only works on dial-up.

BD
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland