Author Topic: Galway Grammar School  (Read 4188 times)

Offline LizzieF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Galway Grammar School
« on: Saturday 11 September 04 22:09 BST (UK) »
A g.uncle went to Galway Grammar School in 1890's. I believe his brothers may have attended there too. How can I find out?  ???

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Galway Grammar School
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 March 05 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I am not able to help you. I have the same problem. My dad was there around 1920 - 25. I hope someone comes up with a helpful suggestion.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 March 05 16:23 GMT (UK) »
The school closed, after being in existence for 200 years, in 1960.

I have looked at various Galway sites and hope we get some information here. 

Galway Archaeological and Historical Society    Founded in 1900, the objective of the society is to preserve and make accessible the archaeology, history and folklore of Galway and the west of Ireland. I have sent an e-mail to the Society Secretary, Kieran Hoare.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi LizzieF,

Sorry for the delay. I received the following e-mail today -

Many thanks for your e-mail Christopher. I am afraid that we don't have access to the records for the Galway Grammar School here. Any records that have survived are now with the Erasmus Smith Trust Archives. Their address is             
Danum, Zion Rd., Rathgar, Dublin 6, telephone 01.4922611,
email staffhsd@tinet.ie As far as I know the archivist's name there is Alan Phelan,
but if you ask for the Archivist there I am sure they will have someone to deal with your query. Best of luck with your research and hopefully the information you are looking for will be there.
With best regards
Kieran Hoare
Archivist

Best Wishes with your research Lizzie, Christopher

Offline dikarch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 17:12 BST (UK) »
Since the Grammar school was the main Galway Protestant school,perhaps the records may be held in the St Nicholas collegiate church archives.
Another possibility is that the school was endowed by the Erasmus Smith foundation, and that society may still have an archive.
The grammar school was bought out and ceased to function in the 1950s.

It was bought by University College Galway, (Now N.U.I.Galway)they may have taken over the school records into their library which has a substantial archive.

My own uncle Tom Clampett went to school there in the early thirties but ran away a couple of times