Author Topic: Where can I find..  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Where can I find..
« on: Saturday 31 December 05 16:29 GMT (UK) »
My son has just discovered that his gt uncle emigrated to Canada around 1908 or soon after, however we are a loss as to where to start looking for evidence of his arrival, as far as we know could have gone to the Toronto area.
He had been in the Royal Navy 12 year service which expired in 1908, his brother was already in Canada in Toronto, and we think its possible he have joined him there for a time, he went there around 1906 and had a  small farm near Vineland in Southern Ontario, thern moved to St Catharines
where they remained.
I have tried to use the census (1911) but need to know exactly where to search, but none of the places mentioned seem to tie up with the above places, can anyone advise me on what district I could acess which would cover these areas? for Ontario?

I have been told that Charles Jarvis the gt uncle I am searching for) married a lady named Flossie and they had some children, but apart from that little bit of info, I have nothing else, so am hoping that I could find them on the census.

Any help in advising me where to look would be much apprciated, thank you.
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I find..
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 December 05 17:20 GMT (UK) »
If you can find them in the index, that will give you the exact location:

http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

Or do you want to go through the images, one by one:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/1911/index-e.html

This shows you the districts in Ontario for the 1911 census:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/1911/006003-390-e.html

Perhaps Ontario GenWeb might have info on districts and counties:

http://www.geneofun.on.ca/ongenweb/

You could also go to the Search page, click on Ontario only, and scroll through the listings (headings only) for subdistrict names that might ring a bell.

Good luck!
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 December 05 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible that he(or his brother) served in the second world war in Canada?

You can search in this index. Soldiers of the First World War - http://www.lac-bac.gc.ca/archivianet/020106_e.html

When was he born,and where,and what's his brother's name?

The more info we have the greater chances of one of us being bale to find him  ;D

Happy New Year,

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DeniseA

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 December 05 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mars,
Both St. Catherines and Niagara (Vineland appears to be in Niagara) are subdistricts in Lincoln County, Ontario. Lincoln county is about 94% complete and has 7 Niagara s/d and 12 St. Catherine s/d.  I did a quick search of Charles Jarvis with all varient spellings in the whole of Canada and came up with 13 hits, without a date of birth it could be any one of them.......there is also the possibiltiy he is part of the census needing to be transcribed, in which case you will have to search the 6% original manually. Keep 3 things in mind when searching. He may have moved out of province, enumerator spelling mistakes and transcription errors, be creative in your spelling and you may just find him  :)
~Denise

Just to start you off, here is the link for Lincoln county
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/Test3.jsp?did=93
originals can be searched by going to each subdistrict individually and locating the pages that have 'transcribe' beside them, you will come up with a split screen, ignore the lower part and view the original at the top
Canada/US - Aylestock, Cromwell, Lawson, Moore, Stonehouse
Kent - Cooper, Stock, Terry
Derby - Matthews, Rudkin, Sparham
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website www.collectionscanada.ca

Offline Mars Barr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 December 05 22:52 GMT (UK) »

Mant thanks for your quick responses you lovely people, I will now try the links you have given and see (with crossed fingers) what I can find.

Carol, you asked for more details such as names etc.
date of  birth for Charles was 9 Oct 1876, he went with his brother Frederick he was born  1883 (both born in Essex England)
I have been informed that Frederick died in 1960 and Charles in 1950, but place is unknown, Frederick I presume miust have died where he was living in St Catheraines, sorry if the information is  "bits & pieces" I have been getting it in little bits at a time and trying to tie it all up.
They have all been a difficult family to trace, what with no infant baptisms, their parents were members of an Essex religious sect called The Peculiars, and they did not have infant baptisms, sadly my late husband knew nothing about his family, he had been put into a workhouse childrens home as a young child shortly after his father died, the father had divorced his wife after she had an affair, and divorce was considered a shameful thing to them, so it seems that none of the extended family knew anything about him, and as far as I have found out, the relatives in Canada were told that the husband and wife had both died in a gas explosion.
Actually the husband had died due to a gas leak, and the wife had been found and saved before she died, she was the second wife and obviously (she had only been married for less than one year) did not want the child (my husband) all these details took several years to find out, after my husband`s death. My husband died in 1992, and it has taken all these years to piece things out about the family. They must have been ostracised because of the divorce I expect, she would have been considered a "scarlet woman" probably! and they may have believed that my poor husband was "tainted" because of her!

So, as you can imagine I am anxious that my son gets to know of any descendants who may still be around.
We did meet through a family history sciety locally, another distant member of the family, and he had told us that his uncles had gone away and joined the army & navy as soon as possible to get away from the parents, simply because of the religious beliefs, so I can guess that the same situation may have been the reason why these gt uncles also emigrated to Canada, especially the one who had been in the navy (Charles)
Hope I have not bored you with these details, and that they will be of help in trying to find information. I will stop now and see what I can obtain from the links you have given.
Once again, many thanks for your help, I`ll let you now is any results turn up.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 December 05 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Just trying to establish the family here first,so we can get some grounding.
Are they these living in Danbury in 1891?

Living at Pear Tree Lane,Danbury,Essex

Walter Jarvis gen labourer 32
Wife Hannah E 39
George 16 coal carter
Charles 14 gen labourer
Alice 9
Fred 8
Arthur 2

All born in various places around Essex.

By 1901 Charles had flown the nest,although Fred is still with his parents.
Now living in Prittlewell?

It's a shame they didn't move across to British Columbia- the have great vital record searches online there  ;D

Good luck with trying to find out more in Canada.
If you want anymore help in England please shout  ;)

Happy New Year

Carol

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 December 05 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Marrs Barr

Do you know about this?

The register of Seaman's service- for £3-50 you can download his service history.And this seems to be the right man I believe?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=6969419&queryType=1&resultcount=28

Have fun  ;)

Carol

Offline Mars Barr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 January 06 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thank you Carol for the further details you had given about the Jarvis family in Essex. Yes We do have the details of them all now, having used the various census information to follow them through the years, as apart from the very early ones, there were no baptisms after the family converted to the "Peculiar People" religious sect, we had then to follow the trail on the census, also after writing to the various churches, this particular group are now merged into the Evangelical church, and through an elderly secretary who had been connected to the Essex branch, we had been given a lead, which very fortunately led us to a distant member of the family of Joslin (one of Job Jarvis`s daughters had married a Joslin and she was descended from them) she had no knowledge of our branch of the family, but had found amongst her mother`s effects a newspaper article about Arthur Jarvis (my late husband`s father) she had known  who he was, but fortunately for us, had kept the cutting and when she received my son`s letter, was able to give us some brief information and of course the newpaper cutting.
The newspaper article was the one through which we discovered that there had been a second wife, and that then led on to the uncovering of the divorce etc. Sadly the contact`s mother had died a year before we had made the contact, otherwise we perhaps would have learned a bit more about the family, as it was she who had been related to them, but as she had never told her family anything about our side, we then came to a dead end for some considerable time.
Happily we have now found out about the two brothers who went to Canada, we have been given a few details about Frederick, but only the brief details concerning Charles, who as you know we are now trying to trace any descendants, which we are hoping for as he had some children, we now need to find out how to trace them, so obviously any leads concerning the family would be of immense importance. It seems from some of the results we have been having, that quite a few have left no descendants, either because there were no children, or the children
 died without leaving any issue.

We did manage to trace a cousin of my late husband, a few years ago, but again unfortunately, he had died before we  discovered about him, and his widow did not have any more information than we did,. He too had been in a childrens home and knew nothing about his family either, so again, another dead end!
Sorry if I am boring you with all these details, but hopefully it will make the situation clearer about the family and our reasons for wishing to find them.
I do thank you, and the other kind people, who have been suggesting avenues to follow, which we will be investigating over the next few days.
My son has printed out a map showing the area where they had been living,  also shows St Catheraines the last place they were staying, it appears to be only a few miles from their previous residence.

Thank you once again for your interest and help.

Offline DeniseA

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 January 06 12:41 GMT (UK) »
There is a Frederick Jervis, living in Nanaimo, BC, 1911, the original says born England, Year of immigration, 1906. Could this be your Frederick?
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/Test16.jsp?id=60099 Line 34
He's listed with a Taylor family as 'help' It says he's married, perhaps he was working the day of enumeration:)

Edit: There are 2 partially transcribed pages in BC, Nanaimo, District 8, Saanich and 8 pages with no transcription done which is quite likely the reason a wife Jarvis/Jervis and or children are not showing, Charles could be on these pages
Canada/US - Aylestock, Cromwell, Lawson, Moore, Stonehouse
Kent - Cooper, Stock, Terry
Derby - Matthews, Rudkin, Sparham
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website www.collectionscanada.ca