Author Topic: Where are they?  (Read 4113 times)

Offline Jan19230

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Where are they?
« on: Sunday 01 January 06 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I've just been doing a bit more research on Alexander BOGG (born 1819).  He was born in "Bonetowshlea" in Scotland and his wife born in Gorthorn, Scotland.

Don't know if these are misinterpretatons on the census, but does anyone know of their existence and where they are, county, correct spelling, etc.
JOHNSTON, STOCKER - Middlesex
DORMODY (and variants)
HERRING - Oxford, Bucks, Warwickshire, Essex
WHITBREAD - Essex, Beds
BOGG - Scotland, Essex

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Where are they?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 January 06 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Definitely nothing with these spellings.  Bonshawside is a poss?  But there will be many other possibles.

What was the source of the names?

Pam
 :)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Jan19230

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 January 06 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam

Found them on the 1851 Census at www.ancestry.co.uk.

Do you know of any searchable "free" scottish ancestry sites I could look at?

Jan
 :)
DORMODY (and variants)
WHITBREAD - Essex, Beds
BOGG - Scotland, Essex

Offline sarah99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 January 06 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look - and it looks like the word  Boniton is in there to me which I think is in Lanarkshire

sarah
Manchester - Middleton, Roberts, Bentley, Pieri. North Yorks - Middleton, Robinson, Shepherd, Peacock, Sigsworth. Notts - Wass, Durance, Lowe. Leics - Henton, Debrex (or Deverex or Devereux etc etc!). Middlesex/London - Messenger, Pieri, Roach. Sussex - Messenger. Ireland - Pieri, Collopy

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.co.uk

Offline Jan19230

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 January 06 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sarah

I'll check in out.

Jan 8)
DORMODY (and variants)
WHITBREAD - Essex, Beds
BOGG - Scotland, Essex

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 January 06 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Jan,

I agree with Sarah that it says Boniton.

The complete entry reads to me:
Scotland N.B. Boniton followed by what might be Water though the 'W' is not like that in 'Wife'.

N.B. probably stands for North Britain (an expression for Scotland which was in use at one time in England i.e. in South Britain  :D )

Boniton (or Bonington or Boninton or Bonnington etc) Linn (or Lin) can be found on Google as one of the Falls on the River Clyde.  As Sarah said, it is in Lanarkshire.  On Streetmap UK, it appears under the spelling Bonnington.

I am still working on the birthplace of Alexander's wife Maria ...

However, in the IGI there is the following marriage:
Alexr. BOG married Maria CUTHBERT, 1 Jun 1840, St Pauls Deptford Kent
The marriage is on FreeBMD with Alexander spelled as BOG, and Maria CUTHBERT on the same page - Jun qtr 1840, Greenwich.

That seems quite likely.

So, over to FreeBMD to look at BOGG births in Middlesex which was the birthplace of the four children - James Alexander 7, Elener(??) 5, Margaret 3 and Isabella 1 (the first two born in Poplar, the next two in Bromley which was in the Poplar registration district according to Genuki).

BOGG James Alexander, Sep qtr 1843, Poplar
BOGG Margaret Maria, Sep qtr 1847, Poplar
BOGG Isabella Cuthbert, Sep qtr 1849, Poplar

It seems that it would be worthwhile getting the marriage certificate ...

JAP

Offline Jan19230

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 January 06 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JAP

That looks like it's the one.  I failed this time, in all the years I've been doing family history, to remember the golden rule about the spelling of surnames and that one slipped by me.

Elener or Elona as it's spelt on the typed up version of the 1851 was known as Ellen on the marriage certificate.

Look forward to hearing about Maria's birth place.

Jan
DORMODY (and variants)
WHITBREAD - Essex, Beds
BOGG - Scotland, Essex

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 January 06 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Jan,

The best I can do for you in deciphering Maria's birthplace is that it actually says Girthorn.  A Google for this found a reference at:
http://www.roman-britain.org/britannia/brit1982.htm
which reads:
"DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY - (1) Gatehouse of Fleet Roman road, Girthorn, Stewarty: hollow-way north of Barclay Burn, agger at Crowcleugh Burn (NX 622588, 628591, 631594): p.337."

I found Gatehouse of Fleet on maps with spelling of the relevant nearby place as Girthon.  You can find this on StreetMap UK at:
Click here for Girthon

The parish of Girthon is listed in Genuki in Kirkcudbrightshire.  See:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/KKD/Girthon/index.html

Of course, this might not be the right place!

I found Alexander as BOG only because I searched in the IGI which combines many different spellings.  I notice son James Alexander is also in the IGI:
BOGG James Alexr., parents BOGG Alexr. and Maria, b 21 Jul bap 17 Sep 1843, St Paul, Deptford, London.

It would be good to get the marriage cert for Alexander and Maria as it should state the name and occupation of the father of each.  The names of the witnesses might also hold clues.

It might also be worth ordering in to your local LDS Family History centre the relevant film of the parish record of the marriage - in case there is some additional clue in the entry.

The 1841 Scotland census is promised soon on ScotlandsPeople (pay per view site).  If you have the names of the fathers, you might find them in it (assuming they were still alive and had not also moved to England).

If you do find them, you would then hope that they lived until Statutory Registration commenced in Scotland - 1855.  Scottish death certificates are very informative.

JAP

Offline Jan19230

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 January 06 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JAP

I'll check out your links.  I think I will order the marriage certificate.

I wonder why Elener (Elona, Ellen) is not on FreeBMD.  I also checked out ancestry.co.uk and she doesn't appear on their either.  I know she exists as I have her on a marriage certificate to my 2x great grandfather.

I'm not able to order anything into my Local LDS branch as I now live in France and all my research is done via internet and good people like yourself.

Thanks again.

Jan
DORMODY (and variants)
WHITBREAD - Essex, Beds
BOGG - Scotland, Essex