Author Topic: Charlotte Vincent - 1871 look up please?  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Mrs Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charlotte Vincent - 1871 look up please?
« on: Monday 02 January 06 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Please could someone be so kind as to look up Charlotte Vincent for me on the 1871 census. 

She had a child in 1874 called Clara Bayley (poss Bailey) whom I can't find a birth registration for anywhere.  I have found Charlotte on both the 1861 and 1881 in Damerham, Wilts, but just wondered if she may have moved district for the 1871 census.  If so, this may help me find the birth record for Clara. 

Any offers greatly appreciated.

Regards
Claire
Bateson Walworth, London.
Kent, Walworth, London
Zwart, Dutch East Indies/Jamaica
Horner, Yorkshire
Angel, Damerham, Hampshire
Major, Collingbourne Kingston
Ross, Staines
Vincent,
George,
Goddard,
Heath

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte Vincent - 1871 look up please?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 06 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Claire,

Charlotte and Henry are still in Damerham in 1871.

Will add the details to this post in a minute Here they are -

Ref RG10 1182 Folio 15 Page 8 - Damerham Village
Henry Vincent - Head - Mar - 49 - Carrier - Damerham
Charlotte Vincent - Wife - Mar - 43 - - Damerham
Anna Vincent - Dau - - 8 - Scholar - Damerham
Jane Goodenough - Visitor - 14 - - Damerham

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Mrs Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 January 06 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Angela.  However, this is not my Charlotte.  I forgot to put that she would have been 26 years old.  Can I be awfully cheeky and ask you to see if my Charlotte is there anywhere??? :-[.  She may have a 2 year old son called William.

Many many thanks
C
Kent, Walworth, London
Horner, Yorkshire
Ross, Staines
Vincent,
George,
Goddard,
Heath

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 January 06 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about that, Claire  :-[

I should know by now not to make assumptions like "there will be only one Charlotte Vincent in Damerham....."    ::)

I can see her in 1851 and 1861 - daughter of William and Jane Vincent?
She seems to be in Brighton in 1881 with parents and William G Vincent and Clara Bayley, is that right? Are you sure Clara is Charlotte's daughter and not one of her (married?) sisters?

The 1871 is interesting - there's a 2 yr old William appeared as son of William and Jane. All the hallmarks of an illegitimate grandson  ::) Have you got the family details for 1871?

I'll just go and have another hunt for Charlotte as she's not with the rest of her family at that point......

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Mrs Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 January 06 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Ah..many thanks Angela. 

There is a possibility that Clara could be the child of another daughter of William and Jane's.  I had assumed that Clara belonged to Charlotte as she was the only one living with her parents at the time.  Like you say....never assume heh?

No I haven't got the details for the family in 1871.  Could you possible reply with them please?  Also, look forward to your findings for Charlotte.  She may be with a husband - possibly the father to be of Clara?

Many thanks Angela
C
Kent, Walworth, London
Horner, Yorkshire
Ross, Staines
Vincent,
George,
Goddard,
Heath

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 January 06 19:44 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Claire and Angela...just another little snippet for future reference....

There were no Clara Bayleys born in 1874 only a Clarissa but there were nine Clara Baileys,just incase she is a line you have to follow later :)

regards cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 January 06 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire

Here are William and Jane in 1871 -

Ref RG10 1182 Folio 23 Page 24 - Common, Damerham

William Vincent - Head - Mar - 56 - Carrier - Damerham
Jane Vincent - Wife - Mar - 56 - - Fordingbridge
Charles Vincent - Son - Unm - 21 - Labourer in the Woods - Damerham
Caroline Vincent - Dau - Unm - 16 - - Damerham
Frank Vincent - Son - - 12 - Labourer in the Woods - Damerham
George Vincent - Son - 10 - Scholar - - Damerham
William Vincent - Son - 2 - - Damerham

As I said before, I think it's very likely this is the same William who appears as a grandson in 1881 as I can't find any other probable Williams in 1871. Mind you I still can't find Charlotte either, even searching under first or last name only and variants of spelling. Don't know whether another RootsChatter can do better than me  ::)

I also had a look for any Vincent/Bailey/Bayley marriages before 1881 and failed there as well, sorry  :(

Angela

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 January 06 22:14 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi again  Claire and Angela... I too have been looking for so long now i'm going cross eyed :o. The only thing i've come up with is this....Please dont laugh.

1871 Ringwood Hampshire RG10 1180  Page 24

Percsable Bailey 25 Common Labourer Verwood Dorset
             Charlotte Bailey 26     ''      '''      ''    '' Wife Ringwood
Hants
             Willie Bailey   Son    2                                Verwood Dorset
                  ?  Bailey  son  5  days                           Ringwood

The only reason i posted this is because i was desperate!!!

I had crossed every Charlotte with Charlott, Bailey with Vincent, checked for marriages of all Charlottes before Williams birth(1869ish) and followed all servant girls with the name Charlotte in the 71 census back ten years to make sure they were born where they said they were :'( and ZILCH!  In the 51 census the first daughter Mary  was born Fordingbridge and the mother Jane was born Breamore. This Charlotte states was born Ringwood...these places are all in a very small area. I too cannot find a marriage of these two so they may not have been married at all. I was a Vincent before i married in the Dorset area and many people told me that way way back the Vincent Families were almost Travellers, living on the land and i suppose with an address all those years, of just 'The Common' thats about as basic as it could get. If anyone was going to crack this one i would have bet money on Angela.....nothing gets past her easily.....
so this small offering is about as good as i can get. Sorry :-[

very best wishes cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 January 06 22:30 GMT (UK) »
 :) And now i have just found this.....

Birth
    Fordingbridge Hampshire/Wiltshire

Dec  1845  Charlotte Vincent
    8   1(6)3

Coincidence????? :D    cheryle