Author Topic: Meehan  (Read 17011 times)

Offline pat01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Meehan
« on: Tuesday 03 January 06 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Have no idea how or where to start.  my grandparents lived on the Dublin Road carlow.  their surname was Meehan and I believe they died around 1956.  Can anyone help
thank you

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Meehan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 March 06 06:10 GMT (UK) »
OK Pat,

I'll give you a little bit of help. I presume your grandparents were Catholic. You probably know the Christian names of your Grandmother and Grandfather. If you know their ages when they died subtract their age from the year they died  to get a date of birth. It does not matter if that is not accurate. An approximate date can always be verified at a later date. Are the Meehans parents of your mother or father ??? You need to do the same thing with your other grandparents.

It is possible that they were regular attenders at Carlow Cathedral. http://www.kandle.ie/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=276&Itemid= The cathedral may have their names in their records. There would be no harm in writing to the cathedral, enclosing a small donation for their funds, asking if they have any records of your grandparents.

Best wishes,

Christopher

Offline pat01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 March 06 08:38 GMT (UK) »
thank you Christopher I will do as you suggest

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 March 06 14:26 GMT (UK) »
thank you Christopher I will do as you suggest

Hello Pat,

Thank you for your reply. There are another couple of sources where you may get information about your grandparents - the local paper:
Carlow People, Channing House, Upper Row Street, Co. Wexford
and the library: http://www.library.ie/public/carlow.shtml
Was you grandfather interested in sport ???
Maybe he was a member of the GAA: http://carlow.gaa.ie Some of the older members may recall seeing him and hearing stories about the days when he played.

Your reply does not disclose a great deal. Maybe you wish to keep your information to yourself. Some people approach genealogy in this manner whilst others share as much as possible. Those who share find they get several replies some of which give helpful information. Other replies may give information which appears useless at first glance but as you gather more information and have a second look it may well fall into place and make sense. There are other wellmeaning people, trying to be helpful, who send a message which is irrelevant to your family although the surname may be the same. I see no  harm in disclosing the Christian names of your grand parents. That possibly will jog one or two memories and elicit a little bit of information.

If you decide to share information you should make many new friends who, if you visit Ireland in search of your grandparents and other ancestors, will be probably be delighted to meet you and show you around the area where your ancestors lived.

A search in Griffiths Valuation of Ireland - the Valuation in Co. Carlow took place in 1851-2 http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlcar2/GV_Carlow_Parish_8.htm revealed two people with the surname
John Meehan, Mill Lane, Carlow Town   
Patrick Meehan, Mill Street, Carlow Town

All the Best,

Christopher

Offline pat01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 March 06 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I know very little about my mother's parents.  My grandfather was James Meehan and I believe that he was brought up in a orphanage.  He joined the Irish regiment and I believe that he fought in the Boar war.  My grandmother was Ellen Meehan maiden name I believe was doyle.  There was or still could be family in Castlecomer.  My Mother talked about being sent there to family.  My Grandparents died in or around 1955 in Carlow.  I think that my grandmother had a stroke and was in hospital for approx. 2 years. 

Offline NIFTYFIFTY47

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 03:13 BST (UK) »
In the electoral register for Carlow in 1937 there is a listing for Meehan on the Dublin Road......listed as electors are: James, Sarah and Ellen.

Mary.

Offline pat01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 08:51 BST (UK) »
thank you for looking.  Sarah was my mother.

Offline NIFTYFIFTY47

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 14:53 BST (UK) »
I will email my friend Mary in Chicago.  She used to live on the Dublin Road.  Mary and I would only have been 9 in 1956, but it was the year Mary's Grandad died.  He used to live with them so as he died then she may possibly remember other people who died at the same time.  If there's any other Carlow info. I can help you with just ask.

Mary.

Offline pat01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 15:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.  My mother was born in 1913 and I think my uncle Paddy was born in 1920 approx.  My grandmother had a stroke about 1952 and was in hospital for two years to 3 years then died.  my grand father died the year before. 
I know so little about them and I believe my grandfather was an orphan.  My grandmother Ithink was brought up in Casltcoomer.  I don't know where they are buried and am having difficulties with finding the years they died.  It is such a shame that I have left it so late as there is none left to ask that I know off.
Thank you so much for any help I do appreciate it
Pat