Author Topic: Advice on my Whisker family COMPLETED  (Read 7569 times)

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Advice on my Whisker family COMPLETED
« on: Tuesday 03 January 06 14:39 GMT (UK) »
I am in need of advice on my Whisker family (I have a nagging suspicion that many of them were illlegitimate).  Here is what I know and I am not sure how to go abut finding more.

Elizabeth Whisker was bapt May 1798 in Welwick, Yorkshire.  Daughter of Ann Whisker.  Elizabeth later married Joseph Shields (Joesph was from Owthorne) in Kinston upon Hull in 1826. She had two sons by Joesph prior to marriage in Ottingham- Daniel and John Whisker in 1822 and 1823.

Now, I have found a Whisker family in the area with a son named Daniel and father (there seems to be a good deal genealogy done for this family by descendants).  I wonder if my Elizabeth is a member of the family as she names her fist son Daniel.  However, I do not want to jump to any conclusions. 

I have found a baptism of an Ann Whisker in the area as a possible mother of Elizabeth who was also the illegit daughter of an Ann Whisker).  Also, on the ERY archives in Beverly, the catalog has bastardy and removal orders for several Whisker women .  Must be related in some way.

Where to go from here?  I seem to have serial unmarried mothers in the line.  I have to believe they are an intersting group of women and want to know more.

Any advice is so welcome!!!- Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on my Whisker family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 January 06 16:22 GMT (UK) »
The only thing you can do is collect as much information as you can about the Whisker family in the area, then try to make sense of it.  With a name like that they're all going to be related in some way, it's just working out how.  I would certainly get details of the bastardy and removal orders - the only way of making any sense of the relationships if they kept having illegitimate babies. 
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 06 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen a bastardy order? What exactly will it tell?  I can order it from the archives (just expensive for me in the US) but want to make sure it will provide more info than on the on-line catalog.
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 January 06 22:20 GMT (UK) »
I've never seen one, but they are early forms of the modern affiliation order. They are made by the JPs to the father of the child, ordering him to maintain it. They are usually preserved by the parish in which the child was born.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  WOuld give me more details with a father's name.- Kristin

Offline Dadpad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on my Whisker family COMPLETED
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 June 06 20:55 BST (UK) »
I have a relative Michael Cockerline Whisker. he was the sister of Mary Whisker (and three unnamed sisters). Mary was born in 1766 and was the daughter of Daniel Whisker and Elizabeth Nelson (married 1760). It is a while since I looked at these records. the families would have lived in the East Riding or Lincolnshire (probably East Riding)

Offline waren6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 July 12 01:52 BST (UK) »
Hi. You seem to have gone back further than I have managed! I think I am descended from a John Whisker who was born in the 1820s and was a blacksmith in Norfolk in adult life. Could this be Elizabeth's second son before she married Joseph Shields? Kingston upon Hull is not ridiculously far from Norfolk. Do you have anything on where Joseph and Elizabeth went after their marriage? And where is Ottingham?

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 July 12 17:28 BST (UK) »
Just saw your post... after some digging, i found i was not tied into the Whisker tree. My Shields family married into the Milner and Clark in Pattrington. SO i stopped digging into this line.

Kristin

Offline waren6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 July 12 23:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. Happy hunting!