Author Topic: 1861 Census -Gerrard - look up New  (Read 2676 times)

forda

1861 Census -Gerrard - look up New
« on: Tuesday 03 January 06 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone check the 1861 Census for a James Gerrard - he would have been born around 1800 - 1810 and was a Weaver.

He had roots in Bristol - his daughter Jane Louise Gerrard was born in Bristol and she was living in Finsbury in 1861

Thanks in advance

Offline Meliora

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census -Gerrard - look up New
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Forda,

The only James Gerard b c 1800 found in the1861 census, all counties, is a follows>>>

RG9/266   folio  23  page 6
15 Fashion St., Spitalfields, London

James Gerard   age 62    Carpenter   b   London
Charlotte  wife  age 71      b     ditto
Emma   dau   age 20     b   ditto

Meliora
RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk

forda

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Meliora

Thanks for the lookup - I have a hunch that the one you found is not the one I am looking for - but I appreciate your help.

kind regards

Anne

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 December 06 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anne

Doing a bit of housekeeping and noticed this seemingly unresolved older request.    Are you still looking for this information?  If so it might be tricky to find so if you have any additional information which may help please let us know.

If I don't hear from you in a while I'll assume you're no longer looking or have found the information in the meantime and move it to 'Completed'.

Regards
Biker
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

forda

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Biker

Thanks for your message and yes this is still a query outstanding that I have not been able to resolve.  I have a copy of the marriage of Jane Gerrard and George Stamford in 1864 - in Bethnal Green London it shows her Father as being James Gerrard a Weaver.

I was able to find Jane Louisa Gerrard on the 1861 census in Finsbury which shows her age as 31 and born in Bristol. On the 1851 census she was living in London St Botolph age looks like 18  also born in Bristol.

Her Father was alive when she married in 1864 but I cannot find any trace of him. I have assumed he was also living in London at this time. Any help would be most appreciated.

kind regards

Anne

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne

I think before proceeding we need to establish some facts. 

Do you have a postive identification of Jane on the census?  For instance with George in 1871?

I'm wondering why you say that Jane's father James was alive in 1864 at her marriage?  Does he sign the certificate as a witness and if so is it definitely him?  Because she put her father's name and occuaption on the marriage certificate does not necessarily mean he was alive. 

I have looked at your references to Jane in 1851 and 1861 and it is difficult to tell if this is the same person.  Also in 1861 it is difficult to tell what her relationship is to the Terry/Jerry family.

More questions and ponderings I'm afraid, but best to start with some concrete facts and work from there, so if you have Jane in 1871 could you provide the census details?

Regards
Biker
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

forda

« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 December 06 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Dear Biker

Thanks for your response. The marriage certificate for Jane Gerrard only shows Father as James Gerrard as Weaver - he has not signed the certificate, unfortunately I always assumed that unless it shows deceased that the Father was alive at the date of the wedding. If this is not the case then it makes a difference to other leads that I have. The only connection I can think of regarding the 1861 census is that Charles Terry was a carpet warehouseman, and that James was a weaver.

The 1851 census shows Jane in the parish of St Botolph, and this is the same parish where George Stamford was living in re the 1861 census so there is also a connection, I assume that was where they met before getting married in 1864. Unfortunately I do not have the 1871 census, however, the 1881 census shows Jane L Stamford age 48 living in Southwark with George and the family - born in Bristol - and it looks like Glo for Gloucester. There is a a town or village that has been crossed through it looks like Wil something. If you can let me know how to attach a document I will forward it to you. I really would like to resolve this missing piece of the puzzle.

kind regards

Anne

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anne
I have been hunting for your family in 1871 but have had no luck at all.
Looking at the censuses (1881 - 1901) Jane's age seems to vary a lot but a birth date of around 1833 seems most likely.  In 1891 she is shown as born in 1841 but looking at the census sheet I think her age could be 56, not 50 - there is a line through the numbers which makes it hard to read.
On the 1881 census the crossings out you were concerned about do not help unfortunately.  When the sheet was prepared Jane was shown as born in Wiltshire Bristol. The Wiltshire has been crossed out and  Glos has been written in a different hand in the far right hand column.  Si it is just a change to the county.
As Biker has said the 1851 and 1861 censuses are not conclusive although Jane is consistently shown as born in Bristol which is in their favour.
I will see if I can turn anything up in 1841.
Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Anne
Sorry but I cannot find anything useful on the 1841 census.
Perhaps it would be best to try to track down Jane's baptism in the Bristol area.
Good luck
Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk