Author Topic: HEMMINGS Family - Northampton  (Read 31980 times)

Offline rthom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
HEMMINGS Family - Northampton
« on: Thursday 05 January 06 16:49 GMT (UK) »
I would love to hear from anyone with ties to the Northampton family of Thomas HEMMINGS (1816-1892) and Sarah MANNING (1820-1904). 

Thomas was the eldest son of John HEMMINGS (1792-1841) and Sarah TAYLOR (1794-1869) who ran The Boot Inn on College Street in Northampton for 30 years (see later thread on The Boot); and Sarah was the daughter of James MANNING (1787-1862) and Susanna MASON (1789-1859). 

Thomas & Sarah ran the Hemmings Bakers and Confectioners business (locations at 14 Regent Square, 28 Abington Street, and 7 George Row) that was founded in 1838 and was still operating in the late 1920s under the management of their children.  In particular, I would be very interested to make contact with descendants of Thomas & Sarah's children (there were 13!):

Susan Elizabeth Hemmings (1840-1871), m. Alfred WYATT;
Mary Ann Hemmings (1845-aft1924), m. HIGGINS;
William Thomas Hemmings (1849-1914), m. (i) Mary Elizabeth PEARSON,
                                                            (ii) Magdalena Elizabeth STEINBACH;
Sarah Louisa Hemmings (1851-aft1928), m. Alfred William WARREN;
Frances John Hemmings (1856-1888), m. Charlotte HOLLAND;
Clara Hemmings (1857-1941), m. James A. HORNBY;
Herbert Edward Hemmings (1859-1932), m. Clara Ann DANIEL;
Kate Emma Hemmings (1862-aft1928), m. John Helms PRUE;
Walter George Hemmings (1864-1947), m. Gwendoline Clara GOULD.

I have the family extensively researched and would be pleased to share information with other descendants and to learn more about the family in the hundred year Northampton period, 1830-1930.

Thanks, rthom
Surname interests: Acfield (Ackfield, Hackfield) - SFK, LON / Adams - BDF / Askham - NHT / Baldrey - SFK / Charlwood - LON / Hall - NFK, ESS, LND / Hemmings (Hemings, Heming) - WAR, OXF, NHT, LON / Hibbert - BRK / Ivey - LON / James - OXF / Manning - NHT / Mason - NHT / Pearson - WAR, NHT / Pizzy - SFK / Polly (Polley) - OXF / Rivers - SFK / Sargeant - WAR, SRY, LON, USA / Simons (Simonds) - BDF / Taylor - NHT / Wiggins - OXF

Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline rthom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HEMMINGS Family - Northampton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 November 06 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Here is an advertisement for the Hemmings Bakers and Confectioners business at 28 Abington Street, Northampton, in about 1870. /rthom

Surname interests: Acfield (Ackfield, Hackfield) - SFK, LON / Adams - BDF / Askham - NHT / Baldrey - SFK / Charlwood - LON / Hall - NFK, ESS, LND / Hemmings (Hemings, Heming) - WAR, OXF, NHT, LON / Hibbert - BRK / Ivey - LON / James - OXF / Manning - NHT / Mason - NHT / Pearson - WAR, NHT / Pizzy - SFK / Polly (Polley) - OXF / Rivers - SFK / Sargeant - WAR, SRY, LON, USA / Simons (Simonds) - BDF / Taylor - NHT / Wiggins - OXF

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 November 06 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi rthom  ;D

Can not help with the request re: family connections but would be willing to take
photographs when I am next time in the area for you of where the properties stand
or stood of Hemmings the Bakers.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline rthom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 November 06 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandy:  :)

Your offer is more than kind.  If you happen to have a camera with you when you are next in the area that would be great.  But please don't go out of your way on my account.  I forgot to add  in the first posting that the earlier shop (up to the mid-1860s) was at 14 Regent Square.

Regards, rthom

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 November 06 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi rthom  :)

Newest pictures of the 3 buildings as of now on the way re: your Hemmings family.

Cheers Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline rthom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 November 06 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Sandy.  I really appreciate the kind help, above and beyond the call of duty!

Regards, rthom

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 November 06 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi rthom

You now you only have to shout to us all and we help where we can.  :)

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline onceginger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 July 08 14:09 BST (UK) »
George THOMPSON married Ann HEMMINGS 18 Oct 1779 at Brackley.  Witnesses were James WALTER and Nathaniel BLENCOWE.  Ann lived in the parish of Brackley at that time.  An Ann THOMPSON was buried 13 Aug 1810 at Brackley.

Unfortunately that is all I know about HEMMINGS. If you are able to add anything I would be delighted to hear from you.  In any event you may like to file the data in case it fits in as your research progresses.
Pritchard, Ashton, Leahy, Copping, Talbot, Vater, Box, Thompson, Legge, Bore, Greening, Vowles, Twaites, Garrett, Wilson, Short, Mason, Gurney, Hurndall, Surrey, Burrows, Pedder, Harris, Brinklow, Hamerton, Doyle.

Offline rthom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 July 08 03:20 BST (UK) »
Hi mkt:

Thanks for the info.  But I'm afraid I cannot place this Ann Hemmings anywhere in my family tree at the present time. 

From the late 1600s to early 1800s my line lived in Mollington, Great Bourton, Cropredy, Moreton Pinkney, Sulgrave, Greens Norton, and Towcester before ending up in Northampton in the 1830s. But it is quite possible one of the cousin branches moved to Brackley, not that far away. I will keep you posted if anything turns up.

Regards, rthom