Author Topic: William Thomas of Cefn Ydfa, Llangynwyd  (Read 12008 times)

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
Re: William Thomas of Cefn Ydfa, Llangynwyd
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 February 06 11:28 GMT (UK) »
I have some more info!!!!! When Ann thomas died Anthony Maddocs gave Ann's portrait to Evan thomas who was William's (Ann's father) cousin. Some how the portrait came into the posession of the national welsh museum and apparently thats where it is now. A guy off roots web 6 years ago claimed that his Evan Thomas who died aged 50 in 1857 and who was married to Jennet David were descendents of Ann. Sadly i looked into that and his Jennet was not from Llangynwyd originally but from St brides Minor. I am not sure about his Evan Thomas Yet but i know That Evan is one of our family names as i have found a few to add to my tree. I think the guys name was Graham Wilde but as it was 6 years ago i have not been in contact with him to let him know my findings. My uncle knows of cousins of ours still in the area that we could ask but i will wait till i am in the area to do that. I gave details of one of Anthony Maddocs' daughters who was the beneficiary of his will to Thomasg but i am unable to locate the details i have in my folder amongst the clutter. I remember she lived in Laleston though.
 ;)
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline raychel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 March 11 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi all My great grandmother was Gwenllian Maddocks of Blaenllynvi Farm  higher hamlet of LLangynwyd there is a family story that we are related to the infamous Anthony Maddocks of LLangynwyd. I have somewhere all the parish records for LLangynwyd which I will look through and get back to you.

Rachael

Offline Ricardian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Raychel

I expect that we are related somewhere down the line, as my gt gt grandmother was Joan Maddocks of Blaenllynfi Farm. Her father was John Maddocks, son of Watkin Maddocks and Margaret John. Would be interested in any info that you have. The family legend about being related to Anthony Maddocks seems to be wellknown by various present day members of the family which makes me think there could be some truth in it. However, as I said above Anthony only had daughters so he wouldn't have had a descendent with the name Maddocks unless ofcourse there is a son on the wrong side of the blanket. Ron Davies of Clan Davies has searched high and low and can't find a connection. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe Anthony's father is related to one of the ancestors of the Blaenllynfi Maddocks.
Regards

Mary
Rickards, Gower, Eynon, Davies, Jones/John, Williams, Phillips,Hillier,Hawker,Maddocks.

Offline raychel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes that was my thought that he or one of his siblings might be the link However I have been researching them for years and never found a connection.
my family as follows
Minnie my grandmother 1888/9 dau of 2nd marriage for Gwenllian Maddocks, Blaenllynvi born 1854 1st husband William Evans 2nd husband Morgan Thomas
Gwenllian dau of John Maddocks born 1818 and Jane Thomas born 1819
John son of William 1773 and Xantippe 1779
William son of Evan I can go back quite a few generations.
I thought I had a list of Thomas but most of my burial lists are of the Maddocks family

Offline raychel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 11:51 GMT (UK) »
I might have something here
William Thomas wife Elizabeth  Great House
Ann dau 1842
Elizabeth dau 1845
Thomas their son b 1836
William THomas  c 1836 1866 The farmhouse
Catherine wife 35
David       son  15
Richard     son 13
Reynold    son   9
Thomas    son   4

Mary      dau      2

Offline hippydude

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 February 12 15:06 GMT (UK) »
the maddocs, thomas and major clan are all related,  *. bit of local history , there is a old corn house on bryn-y-fro that anne thomas was supposed to visit regular at some stage of her life, it is down by the stream on bryn-y-fro, i helped bring this building back to life about  12 years ago , hope this helps

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc. Also removed information about recent bereavement.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data with other Rootschatters.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 February 12 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello hippydude  :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

Your first posting has been modified as explained previously. I hope that you will continue to contribute to Glamorganshire board, and enjoy your time on Rootschat.

Kindest regards
Morgan