Author Topic: WOODLEY from Bentfield/Bishop's Stortford/ Stansted Mountfitchet  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Geoff of Devon

• I have turned off notifications of new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
WOODLEY from Bentfield/Bishop's Stortford/ Stansted Mountfitchet
« on: Tuesday 14 September 04 13:34 BST (UK) »
John Woodley was born Stansted, Herts ~1792/3/4. Are there any other Woodley relations from Bentfield/Bensfield, Stansted or Bishop's Stortford out there? ::)
John's father was Matthew Woodley, died 1832, and grandfather also Matthew Woodley, died 1782, both being buried at St Mary the Virgin, Stansted Mountfitchet.
John's wife's name was Sarah Fuller born~1793/4/5 Beechamwell/Beachamwell, Norfolk and at the time of their marriage (Dec 1816) he is noted as from Aldgate. I think he may have lived at 7 Crutched Friars, St Olave Hart Street, London.
His brother was Matthew Woodley, a maltster (brewer) and farmer of Bentfield Brewery, Stansted Mountfitchet. Other siblings were William Matthew Woodley who died in 1828 in Aldgate, Thomas Stamford Woodley who lived in Cambridgeshire, Mary Woodley (m. Bangham), Catherine Woodley (m. Gilbey) and Letitia who died in Dec 1808.
John's sons John Bankam Woodley b5 Mar 1829 and Matthew Fuller Woodley b13 Jan 1833 were  brewers /cornfactors and later worked at the Corn Exchange, London. There was also a definite sister Eliza Woodley b1826 Bow, Middlesex. There may be several other siblings (John Matthew b~1818, Letitia b1822 and Sarah b1824.....), but these may be William Matthew's children? By 1851 census the family is in Orford Lodge, Walthamstow and in 1861 Matthew F is back in Bentfield Bower, Stansted Mountfitchet.
Geoff.
All lookups are crown copyright

Offline VillageDuckpond

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Woodley from Bentfield/Bishop's Stortford/ Stansted Mountfitchet
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 May 06 21:54 BST (UK) »
Geoff from Devon

Have come across your message and wondered if I can help in any way. I am not related to the people you mention but do live in a village very near to Stansted Mountfitchet.

Please feel free to get back in touch with me if you would like to.

Sasha Wilson
Barnett, Cousins, Flett, Foot, Foote, Fox, Graves, Grunnah, Rackstraw, Shipley, Vinter, Wasko, Wilson