Author Topic: HAGON families in Chelmsford and Poplar  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
HAGON families in Chelmsford and Poplar
« on: Friday 06 January 06 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Anybody out there have these Hagons in their tree?!

William Hagon, blacksmith, born ca. 1817 in Chelmsford
and his wife
Mary Ann Hagon, born Mitchell ca. 1815 in Cornwall.

Mary was my 4G-Grandmother. She married James McGregor, a Scot who was a policeman in Kent, in Islington in 1846. James died around the mid-1850's and Mary married William Hagon in Chelmsford in 1857.

In the 1871 census they were living in Enfield.

I am trying to find the birth details for Mary, but there were a lot of Mary Mitchells in Cornwall at that time! The census entries all say just Cornwall, with the exception of one, which shows a town name which nobody can 100% decipher...! (Already tried the Cornwall board.)

If I could find her death records, maybe I could solve the mystery. I have found a death entry for Poplar in 1892 for a Mary Hagon aged 76, which would tie in. There is also a death record for a William Hagon in Poplar in 1903, aged 87, which is also a good possibility.

Beofre I start chasing red herrings, I'd love to hear from anyone who has Hagons in their tree. It's not the most common of names, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Regards from Germany,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline mongoose2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HAGON families in Chelmsford and Poplar
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 February 11 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Karen I hope you get this message William Hagon is my 3x great Grandfather and his daughter Mary Ann has always been a mystery

Barry
James, Farr in Cornwall and all the others on my website