Author Topic: The 9th Marquessate  (Read 4685 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The 9th Marquessate
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,

In the early days of RootsChat, there was no "The Lighter Side" and "The even lighter Lighter Side" so "total postings" and stars were only for "serious stuff"

The "The Lighter Side" and "The even lighter Lighter Side" were introduced for "less serious" stuff: banter,
levity, jokes, chit-chat, etc, and even stuff that has nothing to do with family history.

So it was decided not to count these postings in our totals, as these boards weren't the "heart" of RootsChat. 
As it turns out, the boards have added greatly to the the general spirit of RootsChat.
It would be hard to imagine RootsChat without them !

And I am quite sure that everybody has more 'real' points, simply because these boards exist  :)

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Linda  8) 

I can think of a quite easy way to become a Marquessate in case you haven't been able to meet the director (or his wife wasn't fond of the idea  ;) ).
Think of ca. 300 queries, duplicate them on the different boards and you'll get your 8 stars in no time at all  ;D

The fact that you get equal points for asking and for helping shows this star system shouldn't be taken too seriously anyway.
However, I do think they look great on my profile, of course  8)  8)  8)

Tanja  :)

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ridban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,

In the early days of RootsChat, there was no "The Lighter Side" and "The even lighter Lighter Side" so "total postings" and stars were only for "serious stuff"

The "The Lighter Side" and "The even lighter Lighter Side" were introduced for "less serious" stuff: banter,
levity, jokes, chit-chat, etc, and even stuff that has nothing to do with family history.

So it was decided not to count these postings in our totals, as these boards weren't the "heart" of RootsChat. 
As it turns out, the boards have added greatly to the the general spirit of RootsChat.
It would be hard to imagine RootsChat without them !

And I am quite sure that everybody has more 'real' points, simply because these boards exist  :)

Bob

Thank you for your explanation, Berlin-Bob,

Thank heavens for The Lighter Side and the Even Lighter Side, is what I say.  I've been a keen genealogist for some years, but even genealogists have to laugh. I see no reason to be po-faced and serious all the time, which is what one tends to find one has to be on some other genealogy boards I could mention.

The thing I like about the Rootschat Lighter Side & Even Lighter Side, is that you know you are joking and bantering with people whose abiding interest is genealogy. It makes one feel relatively safe, if you know what I mean.  The internet can be a strange place, but I can feel relatively secure on Rootschat that the people with whom  I am joking are not weirdo male sex maniacs pretending to be teenage girls, with a hidden agenda or whatever. I think you know what I mean.

With most genealogy boards, one tends to log on only when one has a question to ask, or to look to see what other people are asking. Rootschat Lighter Side & Even Lighter Side produce, I think, a sense of community, which I think is what keeps people coming back again and again. Certainly that's why I come back again and again. I enjoy the humour that one finds on the boards.  I enjoy the sense of community.

So, I think I have to disagree with you - The Lighter Side and Even Lighter Side are the heart of Rootschat.  And I'm very grateful to Rootschat for providing them!

Linda

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Well said Linda.

That bit about the sense of community is so true.  Three other sites with a great sense of community like that found at Rootschat are to be found in Ireland - http://www.buncrana.com/forums/index.php http://www.enniskillen.com/craic/index.php http://www.rotterdambar.com
Well the Rotterdam Bar is out on its own as being somehat eccentric.

Does anyone know of other community spirited sites that are up to the RootsChat standard?

Best Wishes, Chris

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 20:32 GMT (UK) »
The Lighter Side and Even Lighter Side are the heart of Rootschat.

Hi Linda,

Funilly enough, while I was writing that my original reply to you I had a very similar thought  ;D

Certainly, without them, RootsChat would have less Heart !!

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline JillJ

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 13 January 06 21:45 GMT (UK) »
To bring this thread back to its origins, even though I'm a bit late...

WELL DONE TICKER!   YOU DESERVE ALL THE PLAUDITS!

Please will you wear the green fluffy slippers and leprachaun hat to the next meet?  I'd love to see you in them!

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 14 January 06 07:01 GMT (UK) »

May I add my congratulations Ticker, well done mate.

Barbara             ;)
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Paul E

« Reply #25 on: Saturday 14 January 06 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Well done that man!  A tribute, indeed, to all the people (me included) who you've helped on Rootschat. :)

Paul

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 14 January 06 19:00 GMT (UK) »
As a mere extra with only two stars, I am curious as to how you reach the dizzy heights of marquessate?? I looked up the star system, and as I understood it, six stars makes you an aristocrat, and you get seven if you are a moderator. But there was no mention of how you get to be a marquessate??? Do I have to sleep with the director???

P.S. I do hope that doesn't offend anyone. It was meant as a light hearted joke only.

Linda (after a couple of glasses of wine)

Dear Linda,

As a mere extra with only two stars your research seems to be better than mine in this instance. I keyed the words "star system" into search rootschat. These are some of the suggestions offered to me - start, started, starting, stars, HistArchive, starve, starvation, startup, restart, starred.

Catherine actually managed to put the words "star system" adjacent to one another in her post http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,7609.0.html but there was not, to my mind, an obvious explanation to the query. Ticker's comment "this is no longer an issue" left me with the same amount of knowledge that I have had since writing the words "Dear Linda" at the start of this particular post. You will note the length of time between Catherine's post 26th July 04 and Ticker's reply 22nd December 05. Catherine was obviously somewhat taken aback at actually receiving a reply that she has not yet recovered sufficiently to sit down and answer Ticker's Christmas Message. Why is it that so many people in a position of power issue a Christmas Message - Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, The Archbishop of Canterbury, His Holiness the Pope to name but a few?  Has anyone noticed that even Presidents and Prime Ministers manage to get in on the act.

Come on Catherine. We are all behind you waiting with bated breath. Maybe the answer lies somewhere in the thread shown below started by Nora T on Saturday 14th August 04. Links to matters raised on boards are so important.  Sometimes a little banter, such as that between Saz (How is your grandchild Saz?),  Steve and yours truely is easy enough to follow but there are times when many of us get lost trying to follow the theme of a particular thread.  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,15411.0.html

May I congratulate you Linda (after a couple of glasses of wine) on your fine piece of research.

Best Wishes,

Christopher