Author Topic: 3 brothers in the Lancashire Fusiliers  (Read 1998 times)

Offline dcsnr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
3 brothers in the Lancashire Fusiliers
« on: Tuesday 10 January 06 16:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to open a chest full of mystery concerning my Grandfather and two of his brothers that served in the Lancashire Fusiliers during WW1.  My father said that Grandfather would never talk about his experiences of the war because his two brothers died but rumour had it that he carried his wounded brother to safety during one battle, but if that was the case, why wasn't he be proud to talk about it?

The three gentlemen in question are Ernest Joseph Collier born 1891, Benjamin Collins Collier born 1882 and William Thomas Collier born 1885, all from Manchester and parents named Joseph and Elizabeth.  Ernest (Pte 9/3527) was wounded and discharged in Mar 1916 - lucky for me or else I wouldn't be here.  I found information about Benjamin on the CWWG site, he belonged to the 1st btn (Pte ser no 4898) and was killed at Gallipoli.  Finding mention of William Thomas has been more awkward.  There is a William Collier on the CWWG site (Pte ser no 3290) that looks like a possibility, it looks like he was wounded at Gallipoli and was transferred to the hospitals in Cairo where he later died.

Has anyone access to military records to expand the above ?

David

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
Re: 3 brothers in the Lancashire Fusiliers
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Here is Ernest's Medal card info

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=2038295&queryType=1&resultcount=1

Benjamin's :

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=2038102&queryType=1&resultcount=1

There are several William Colliers, could not see a William T Collier, the one you mentioned (Pte 3290) was in 9th Lancashire Fusiliers

Wendi

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 17:23 GMT (UK) »
dave,the w,collier who died at cairo [No3290] was william collier,born,enlisted and lived in manchester,do you live in manchester,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline dcsnr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello mac,

I live in Cheshire but Manchester's not that far away.

David

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 17:43 GMT (UK) »
dave,i just noticed the army numbers,ernests and williams are close togethor,both were 9th batt,i think w.collier 3290 is your man,i will check the newspaper casualty lists for that period,i have a lot of my own but they dont cover that period,ime going to central library on friday,will have a look,most lancs fus appeared in the m/c evening chronicle and many more in the m/c evening news,they have em all at central library,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline dcsnr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello again mack,

Thanks very much for the offer of help at Manchester Library.

I've just checked the 'National Roll of the Great War' for Manchester casualties where I found Benjamin (page 79 or screen 84 of 431) but not William.  I have been told that this list was not complete due to the public having to subscribe their entries.

Whilst I was there I found a J.H Collier which may have been the 4th brother James Henry who was born in 1879.  Do you know if there is a way to check this ?  A further coincidence is that the entry reference numbers are consecutive.

Cheers

David

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 21:19 GMT (UK) »
A FOURTH brother David ???

Come clean,

How many are we looking for ?
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 08:42 GMT (UK) »
david,was his regt the manchesters,if it was,then hes not your man,hes this bloke
pte james,herbert,sefton collier
24th batt,manchester regt
killed 10-5-17
age 28
son of,samuel+mary collier,100 bank st,clayton
on the arras memorial

Offline dcsnr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendi,

Apologies if I've got you a little confused.  My Grandfather had 3 brothers in total but my immediate family only talked about grandfathers participation in the war when we come across his medals and mention was made of the two brothers who were killed.  Hence the reason for searching military data for the 3.

The latter of the Colliers I mentioned (James Henry) was the eldest and may have joined up later for maybe family reasons etc., not a lot was known about him.  If the chap mentioned in the 'National Roll' was, who I think he is, then it would tie up nicely because the data stated he joined up in June 1915 which was the month his two brothers died and it may have been the reason for him joining the war.

He only came into the equation when I spotted him after I was given the link to the website.

Hi Mack,

I'm pretty certain that all the brothers would have joined the same unit i.e. the Lancashire Fusiliers.

Cheers,

David