Author Topic: ATKINSON, Margaret - Castle Carrock, CUM  (Read 8894 times)

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
ATKINSON, Margaret - Castle Carrock, CUM
« on: Thursday 16 September 04 07:06 BST (UK) »
My GGGGM, Margaret Atkinson, married Philip Davidson 10 Nov 1844 in Castle Carrock.  She had been born there about 1825.  I believe her father was Christopher Atkinson.

Margaret and Philip lived in C.C. for many decades, raised their family there.  Philip taught there and was a schoolmaster, postmaster, farmer, and, after he left teaching, an assistant steward.

I would like to learn more about Margaret's parents; I don't know her mother's name.  Margaret's daughters were Elizabeth, Margaret, and Mary, so I'm guessing it could have been one of those names.  I would also like to verify her birth date and learn her date and place of death.  Thanks, RedFox
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ATKINSON, Margaret - Castle Carrock, CUM
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 September 04 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have had a quick look on the lds site and found this, it is only a possibility but Peggy is a form of Margaret. I think you may need to request someone with the Castle Carrock Parish records to look this up to confirm.

~~~~~~~~

PEGGY ATKINSON 
  Female     

~~~~~~~~
Event(s):
 Birth: 
 Christening:  05 JUN 1824   Castle Carrock, Cumberland, England

Death: 
 Burial: 

~~~~~~~~
Parents:
  Father:  CHRISTOPHER ATKINSON  Family
  Mother:  ELIZH. DIXON     

Hope this may give you a lead

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 September 04 07:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Nicky.  I would never have thought of her as Peggy.  Guess because of the time (1820-30) and I always picture all my English relatives as elegant ladies.  However, if she and Philip raised all the chldren they did, it would fit.

Dixon was an active family in Castle Carrock.  I'll do some more checking with that name in mind.  Plus the Elizabeth fits.  It was her oldest daughter.

This sounds like a hands-on research job.  Or at least a request or two to the CRO.  I appeciate your taking time to check.  RedFox
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle

Offline janjan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 September 04 11:08 BST (UK) »
hi Redfox,
     i think we may be related(distantly!!)
     christopher atkinson married elizabeth dixon july 1808,
     christophers parents are joseph and elizabeth(brown)joseph born 1759 in hayton,died at CC 1833,
     josephs parents richard and jane(tweddle)
 richard born 1730 brampton,died 1794 at CC ,
  i have loads more info if you want to get in touch ,
              janjan   

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 07:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for writing, janjan.  I'd be interested in "seeing" what you have.  You think you may be related to their daughter, Margaret?  Or one of Christopher's relatives? 

I'll keep the info, but add it to my FTM until it can be verified against my line.  Will copy it to my "Notes" section.  Thanks.  RedFox

Offline janjan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 October 04 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Redfox,
     its a long story so please bare with me!!
  i have a Eliza Atkinson born 1828 at Scalby,
  her parents are George and Mary Atkinson,George born ay Hayton in 1792,
 george was born to John Atkinson and Isabell (Thompson),john born 1754 in Hayton,
 john was the son of Richard and Jane(tweddle)Richard born 1730 at Brampton,
Richard being the son of Willam and Mary(Crow),
 Eliza Atkinson was my great great great grandmother,
 hope this makes sence when you read it if not i have my familt tree on tribal pages under the name edgars,
 do you live in england?
                   hope to hear from you again
                              janice

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 November 04 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Jan.  Have been VERY occupied, but not on the computer the past two weeks.  Right now I'm catching up on sleep.  This weekend I want to sit down and add the new info to my FTM.  What I'd really like to get are some birth, marriage, and death certificates as proof of information.   A woman I met this week is a professional genealogist (50+ years); she said it's all about proof.   So that is my next step, along with acquiring new info to verify.  Unfortunately, when I get to a certain point in time, proof gets harder to come by.   It will be a few days before I can digest the info, but will get back to you if I have any questions.    I live in Saginaw, MI now.  Want to spend some time in the British Isles - especially Cumberland, Cornwall, and Yorkshire.  Plus the Borders and Lanarkshire in Scotland.  This is for starters and genealogy mostly.  There is a lot of area I want to see for the scenery.  Also have some spots to check in Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany.  I'm in Saginaw, MI, USA right now.   RedFox

Offline janjan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 November 04 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Redfox,
      i have the marrage certificate for Eliza Atkinson she was married in 1848,some of the info has been verified by church records, i will find out which have and see what else i can find,alot of the info came from a lady called kaye in canada whos uncle has done alot of research on the atkinsons, i have never tried to do a full family tree on the atkinsons but there is alot of info, i live in carlisle cumbria, so im not far from castle carrock i can try to get a look at the records office and se what i can find,do you have a marriage certificate for your margaret atkinson?
          jan

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 November 04 05:37 GMT (UK) »
janjan, think I figured it out.  Joseph and John were sons of Richard Atkinson and Jane Tweedle.    Your line decends from John and mine from Joseph.  So we're cousins?  Albeit, distant.  I've found Hayton west of Castle Carrock, I found another near Aspatria.  Interesting since my Margaret Atkinson married Philip Davidson about Nov. 1844 in CC.  Their son, Isaac, married Anne Robson; Isaac and Anne were married about 1884 and lived in the Aspatria area until they emigrated to the US in 1887.  Isaac and Anne's marriage is listed as registered in Wigton.  So if you find Philip, Margaret, Margaret (dau.), and Isaac in the 1891 UK census, it's didn't happen.  Or at least I haven't figured out how. 

Would love to get a marriage certificate for Philip and Margaret.  He was a school master/teacher in CC for many decades.  He is still in a directory in 1901, but not as a teacher.  I show his birth as 1822 in Irthington.  However, I haven't been able to find anything on a place and date of death for either of them.   This vital statisic is missing from my records.   I've found out little on his parents, George and Dorothy Davidson.   She lived with the family for awhile - born about 1774 in Walton.   I know nothing about George.  Except Philip and Margaret named their oldest son and first child, George.

I envy you living so "close to the action" -  I would love to spend a few weeks in the area around Carlisle as I have ancestors in the Castle Carrock (Irthington, Walton, Thirwall?) area and the Aspatria (Gilcrux, Dearham) area.   Plus, John Robson, the grandfather of Anne Robson who married Isaac Davidson, was born in Roxboughshire, SCT.  John and his wife lived in Aspatria.  John's father may have been born in Cumberland.  So I have a lot of history to check out.   If I could figure out how, I would send you all I have.  Let me know if I owe you anything, cost-wise.  Records can be expensive so don't bear the brunt yourself.   Thanks, RedFox, Saginaw, MI