Author Topic: Birth and marriage certificates for Montrose and Dundee  (Read 2972 times)

Offline nmayj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Birth and marriage certificates for Montrose and Dundee
« on: Tuesday 13 January 04 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Seeking help with obtaining a birth certificate for 1845/46, Montrose and a marriage certificiate for 1908, Dundee. Where to write, costs, etc. Any help appreciated.

Offline Lorna Gellatly

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:Birth and marriage certificates for Montrose and Dundee
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 January 04 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am going to register house in Edinburgh in February and if you give me the details, I could try and get the info you need.
It is quite easy to get certificate after 1855 but before that it is only parrish registers and no certificates and not so easy to find the detail.
If you want a copy of a certificate after 1855 it is about £10.00 or I could just get the details for you from the fische there.
If I can be of any help,let me know
My name is Lorna :) ::) :-*

Offline nmayj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 January 04 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorna,

I am seeking birth confirmation or sighting, not necessarily a certificate, for a George McGregor, son of George McGregor and Ellen Mitchell, born about 1846 Montrose, Scotland. Grateful for anything you can find.  :)

Noelene

Offline JF

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 April 04 20:36 BST (UK) »
The cheapest way to research Scottish BDM's on line is to go to

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk where for £6 you get 30 credits for 48 hours to search, view and download copies and you can go back and see what you're searched previously. Searching costs 1 credit and copying certificate which gives you all the info you need is 5 credits.

There is a 100 year rule for births, 75 marriages and 50 deaths which requires you to contact the GRO in Edinburgh which charges for the certificate and research either side of dates given which can mount up.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Birth and marriage certificates for Montrose and Dundee
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 February 05 16:14 GMT (UK) »
There  is no such thing as a birth certificate in Scotland before 1855, because that is when statutory registration started. Before then you only get extracts from the Church of Scotland parish registers, which don't contain as much information as a birth certificate. Sometimes all you get is the father's name, child's name and date of baptism. It is almost always cheaper to get (someone to make) a transcription from the parish register than to send away for a copy.

If your man's baptism isn't in the online indexes at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk it may be that any record of his baptism has not survived. There are Roman Catholic, Episcopal and other denominations' registers of baptisms, but their coverage is patchy and the information not included in the indexes.

Some of these are still with parishes, some with the diocese or church HQ, and others are in the National Archives of Scotland - see www.nas.gov.uk

HTH

Forfarian
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline WILLIAM 1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth and marriage certificates for Montrose and Dundee
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 April 06 17:49 BST (UK) »
send an e.mail with the marriage stuff that you are looking for and they will send you an e.mail back i have done that many a time and i get an e.mail back with the stuff i was looking for
http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/registrars/main.htm

try this as well for your birth
http://www.angus.gov.uk/history/libraries/montroselib.htm

good luck
brown family mcclinton (and variants), mcfarlane, buchanan,murray,caskie(and variants) hay family. mcpherson family.mckenzie.whiteside.nichol