Author Topic: Onegreatfamily.com - anyone else using it?  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Simon-Hawking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Onegreatfamily.com - anyone else using it?
« on: Thursday 16 September 04 17:02 BST (UK) »
I've been using www.onegreatfamily.com for my family tree.  It seems to be good, as I have been able to link to someone elses tree thanks to a marriage, and all the names, places and dates tying up.  It also allows GEDCOM files to be uploaded, which I did after the software I had became unable to deal with the data I was feeding it.  >:(   So far very impressed with this service!

Just wondered if anyone else was using this service?

Simon.

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Onegreatfamily.com - anyone else using it?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 September 04 08:49 BST (UK) »
sounds a bit like Genes Reunited, only you pay 75 $ a year instead of 7.50 quid.
If I'm going to spend that much money, then I'd probably invest in Ancestry. Alternatively, its 10 certificates.

But "you pays your money, you takes your choice".
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Simon-Hawking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 September 04 10:52 BST (UK) »
I'll agree prices are a little inflated, but really my father is paying (he doesn't have a computer, so I'm doing it for him).

Atleast I know If I ever quit the service, the data would remain there for me to pick up again if I changed my mind.

Simon.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 September 04 20:35 BST (UK) »
I took a look. It is pretty expensive and very, very centred on American families although I found many French as well. Searching, below the surname level is very tedious. With the exception of a legendary aunt who allegedly dumped her two kids and ran off to America with a sailor my ancestors stuck to England. As far as I can see I am the only one who ever ventured overseas and I did that for nearly 40 years.
I have several quite rare surnames in my tree and have yet to receive a single reply of significance to any posting I have made on American-centred sites. I have had several from UK sites.  I am not a hugely experienced researcher but I have found at least as much benefit from Rootschat as from all others combined.
There are very few Nethway or Murrill names around - both surnames are rare in this spelling. I also research Damary. I suppose all of the English Nethways, most of the Murrills and a quarter of the Damarys are related to me. I had one significant contact from Genes Reunited about Damary. The various American boards, although supposedly world-wide, have produced only the most simplistic replies - suggesting lines of research that my posting makes it obvious that I have already tried. I did find on Rootsweb a good detailed collateral family line that enabled me to go back several generations on one of mine. But any attempt to make contact with that researcher was useless.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tewin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 November 04 12:51 GMT (UK) »
I haven't used the site, but was tempted to sign up for free trial to see how it works. Wondered though if it was like the Ancestry 'free trial', where you give them credit card details in advance and then find it difficult to cancel when your free trial is ended. :-[

I was also concerned on looking at it that it seems to add ancestors to your tree - what opportunities do you have to verify the data? How reliable are the other users? How accurate is the 'handprint' data matching facility? Would love to hear from anyone who has experience - though it seems from the previous postings that if you're not American, getting any matches at all seems more of a problem than spurious matches.

Tewin
Lowen: Middlesex and Herfordshire
Meara/O'Meara: Middlesex, Hampshire, Ireland
Collins: London, Hampshire, Manchester
Sharp/e: London, Bedfordshire
Stanton: Middlesex
Eaves: Middlesex
Irons: Middlesex

Offline Simon-Hawking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 November 04 18:04 GMT (UK) »
I haven't used the site, but was tempted to sign up for free trial to see how it works. Wondered though if it was like the Ancestry 'free trial', where you give them credit card details in advance and then find it difficult to cancel when your free trial is ended. :-[

I was also concerned on looking at it that it seems to add ancestors to your tree - what opportunities do you have to verify the data? How reliable are the other users? How accurate is the 'handprint' data matching facility? Would love to hear from anyone who has experience - though it seems from the previous postings that if you're not American, getting any matches at all seems more of a problem than spurious matches.

Tewin

It will find potential matches to the data you entered, and if a strong match to anothers data, will hint.  It's down to you whether to accept this info.

I've found it very England orientated - which it should be, as many US families started here.  I've managed to link from a member that emigrated to Michigan, and found out who they married (spouse from England, yet did not marry until in the US) and their kids upto present.