Author Topic: What information is on the immigration archive records?  (Read 1278 times)

Offline AmisUK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
What information is on the immigration archive records?
« on: Sunday 15 January 06 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've found my relatives on the Collections Canada website, and now know that they arrived on the 03/05/1926 on the S.S. Canada at Quebec.

What extra information would I get from the actual record, as the website doesn't really give any detail on what is available once you have the index.

Regards
Paul
London Area (Bethnal Green, Shadwell, Shoreditch, Whitechapel): Ames, Brown, Ellis.
Lowestoft Area: Ames, Colby, Knights, Lincoln, Mantripp, Martin, Tripp, Turner.
Durham Area: Barkess, Mushens.

Belgium (Oost Vlaanderen): Baluwé, Bombeke, Boon, De Bock, De Potter, Dua, Latour, Noppe, Thys, Vanden Berghe, Van Hoey, Seghers, Vercheyen, Vergauwen, Wuytack

France: De Cambrai, De Flandres, De Hennin, De Haynin, Denain, d'Ostrevant, De Ribemont, De Roucy, De Valenciennes

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: What information is on the immigration archive records?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 06 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

On the passenger lists, it gives quite a bit of detail.  The say were the person is headed, sometimes an exact address.  What their occupation is.  Sometimes things about their health, height.  How much they paid for their ticket, how much they had in the possession at the time.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline AmisUK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 06 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Thank you for that information, I will look at contacting the Collections Canada website to get a copy of the passenger list posted here to the UK.

Regards
Paul
London Area (Bethnal Green, Shadwell, Shoreditch, Whitechapel): Ames, Brown, Ellis.

Belgium (Oost Vlaanderen): Baluwé, Bombeke, Boon, De Bock, De Potter, Dua, Latour, Noppe, Thys, Vanden Berghe, Van Hoey, Seghers, Vercheyen, Vergauwen, Wuytack

France: De Cambrai, De Flandres, De Hennin, De Haynin, Denain, d'Ostrevant, De Ribemont, De Roucy, De Valenciennes

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 00:22 GMT (UK) »
My list from 1909 has a stamp besides the family -  'Continental Bonus', indicating that my great-great grandfather and family were considered 'suitable' immigrants; the booking agents got a bonus for sending them to Canada.  'British Bonus' was the same thing but for those from England as opposed to Europe in general.  It also listed religion.  (The Canadian government always were funny about that - they collected that info at every census, too).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adrian7886

• RootsChat Extra
  • Questions questions so many questions :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 January 06 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

Can I hijack this thread and ask what other resources you used to trace you relatives? I am trying to trace an uncle who emigrated to Canada in the 1920s.

Thanks
Adrian
Kent: Brown and Smith
Petersfield Hants: Bonner & Smith also Bonner-Smith

Offline AmisUK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 January 06 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adrian,

This is a link to the site that you can do an index search on http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020118_e.html

It gives you plenty of details just in the index information.

Regards
Paul