Author Topic: Who owned West Wantley Farm, Pullborough  (Read 4950 times)

Offline gallipolianzac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who owned West Wantley Farm, Pullborough
« on: Sunday 22 January 06 12:19 GMT (UK) »
When my great Uncle Walter Goode and his family returned from military service in India in or about 1922 they apparently bought a farm at West Wantley. He may have  called himself  Newling-Goode, and his wife was Mary. However in December 1925 he was sentenced as Walter Goode at Sussex Assizes for hard labour for deception and theft!
I am trying to discover if he did own the farm, and if there is anymore info I can get on his demise.
Any help or suggestions welcome.
Co.Down: Murland
Sussex: Goode, Watts, Poole
Northamptonshire: Murland
East Yorkshire: Royle

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: Who owned West Wantley Farm, Pullborough
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 January 06 13:54 GMT (UK) »

I don't know if this will help but you could try writing to The Storrington Museum, The Old School, Church Street, Storrington, West Sussex.

The museum is run by local people some of whom have been around the Village most of their lives.  Someone might just know or remember something.  They also have access to documents and a local researcher.

West Wantley was until recently a Poultry Farm, selling free range eggs. 

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 January 06 15:05 GMT (UK) »
If you consult:

www.a2a.org.uk

and search for West Wantley

You will find that Sussex Record office hold correspondence about the tything charge for the farm in 1923 
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gaynor.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 11:31 GMT (UK) »
It was, I believe in the 1950's in either the ownership of or being leased by one Charlie Puttock and his wife.

It was a poultry farm ( free range hens and eggs.)

The farm was on Fryern Road between Storrington and West Chiltington.

It was still in production in the 1980's I can't say what  has happen to it  since.
then.  Hope this info will help .

Regards  gaynor.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 14:30 GMT (UK) »

Gaynor is right  :D  it was Charlie Puttock!  I could'nt think of his name. 
Next time I go that way I'll have a look - I don't think there is any kind of business there now..

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline rameses

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 March 11 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Mr. B de Hailles Pickard bought West Wantley, Storrington in around 1930. He built up a pedigree poultry farm and also a dairy herd.  Charles Puttick worked for him for some years before renting the dairy farm until the early nineties, after which Charlie emigrated to New Zealand. When B de H Pickard retired from the poultry business he let part of the farm to Bob Bryer who  continued to run it as a poultry farm selling eggs and other farm produce. On B de H Pickards death in 1988 the lands and West Wantley were passed to G Austin as part of the inheritance. West Wantley house was subsequently sold to the present owner.

Offline Adriansplit67

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 December 23 09:17 GMT (UK) »
They did indeed own West Wantley Farm. Walter Newling-Goode was my great grandfather and after they returned from India (Bangalore is the town on my grandfathers birth certificate) and they purchased the farm (which I believe at that time was a cattle farm).

After Walter Goode was imprisoned for theft and deception (I believe it had something to do with cashing a cheque?!), his wife (Mary Newling-Goode nee Love) who was a matron at a hospital in Surbiton, committed suicide and the farm was subsequently sold. I have the old black and white photographs from the estate agents details of when the farm was sold.

My grandfather Alan Newling-Goode and his sister Molly Newling-Goode were put into boarding schools following the death of their mother and sale of the property.

Both Alan and Molly have since passed away.

Alan had a son Roger (my father) who passed away 2 years ago and Molly married and became Dungay (she had two sons Paul and Stephen).

Hope this helps!

Adrian