Author Topic: William Rodic 1787 birth lookup  (Read 1167 times)

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
William Rodic 1787 birth lookup
« on: Tuesday 24 January 06 08:57 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for the birth of William Rodic 1787 give or take a few years I have him on 1861 census living Wigtown Scotland it says he was 74 and born Ireland any help would be much appreciated. ::) Lots of variations with spelling Rodic/Roddick/Reddick/Riddick
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: William Rodic 1787 birth lookup
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hello  irret,

There are several items which need to be established when searching for Irish ancestors.

1. Denomination.
2. Parish.
3. Townland.

You'll have to rely on Church records when searching for ancestors born prior to the introduction of Civil Registration in Ireland. This happened in 1864. Marriages of Non Catholic were registered from 1845 onwards.

One of the recommended methods of attempting to find more about ancestors from any part of Ireland who moved to England, Scotland, Wales or elsewhere is to have a look for other Irish people in the area where they settled.

Whilst the records for your ancestors may only show the county it's possible that the records of other Irish people in the same area may reveal more details.

Christopher

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 17:34 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Christopher, for the advise. :)
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 October 08 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, I wanted to know if your Rodic turns up in the Scotland census 1841 [ Scotlands people] or 1851 [ index done by Friends of the Archives of Dumfries and Galloway] census. I think Wigtown has a much earlier census, which might be too early. My surname gracey or gracie if native scottish has several twoway connections to and from Wigtownshire. My first two came over via Larne and one settled Comber and the other Armagh/Lisburn
Ros Davies Co Down shows Rodick is under Ruddock and also R
eg of some early ones are
John RUDDOCK . ? will probated 1713 IIW V4 p134
William RODICK . Magheradrool of Ballymacarn; will probated 1807 IIW V4 p132
Miss Eleanor RIDDOCK . Blaris regd. Lisburn; daughter of Robert Riddock; aged 21, married Samuel Singleton 10 Mar 1864; mother of Elizabeth b. 1869 BVR; CR
John RIDECK . Drumgooland of Ballydrumman; will probated in 1724 IIW V4 p130
William RIDDICK . Magheradrool father of Robert bpt. 8 Dec 1709 at Ballynahinch Presbyterian Church by Rev Henry Livingston  BPCR

good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide