Author Topic: Boer War Look Up  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Boer War Look Up
« on: Thursday 26 January 06 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Help appreciated please re George Hadfield Wyatt from Australia who went to the Boer War.
I have discharge papers indicating that he was a member of the 2nd Scottish Horse Regiment.However another document suggests his regiment was the 4th Contingent Imperial Australian Regiment.
I recently discovered in my cutlery drawer a tea spoon engraved "Phoenix Hotel Dellfontein South Africa."I think there may have been a major military hospital in Dellfontein and this must be a souvenir.
Any information greatly appreciated.
Family came to Australia from Glossop UK.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline pwenlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Boer War Look Up
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 January 06 08:02 GMT (UK) »
The Imperial Yeomanry Medal Rolls show him as

Wyatt, George Hadfield    41120*, Trooper    2nd Scottish Horse

I'll look up his medal entitlement when I get home this evening

Yours aye
Paul
Searching for WENLOCK, DEAKIN, MATTHEWS, CHEW & CHURM.

Researcher of Boer War & WW1 history of the Royal Berkshire Regiment, Oxfordshire Yeomanry (Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars) & Berkshire Yeomanry.

Trustee of the Oxfordshire Yeomanry Trust http://sites.google.com/site/oxfordshireyeomanry
Soldiers of Oxfordshire http://www.sofo.org.uk
& The Berkshire Yeomanry Museum Trust

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 January 06 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Paul.Much appreciated.
George Hadfield Wyatt may have stayed on in S.A for a while as he is said to have joined the S.A Police.
Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline pwenlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 January 06 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rex

He is entitled to the Queens South Africa Medal with bars for Cape Colony, Transvaal, Rhodesia, South Africa 1901 & South Africa 1902.

There is also a note that he spent some time serving with the 2nd Victoria Bushmen (regimental number 162)

Hope this is of some assistance.
Paul
Searching for WENLOCK, DEAKIN, MATTHEWS, CHEW & CHURM.

Researcher of Boer War & WW1 history of the Royal Berkshire Regiment, Oxfordshire Yeomanry (Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars) & Berkshire Yeomanry.

Trustee of the Oxfordshire Yeomanry Trust http://sites.google.com/site/oxfordshireyeomanry
Soldiers of Oxfordshire http://www.sofo.org.uk
& The Berkshire Yeomanry Museum Trust

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 January 06 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Paul.
The second discharge "parchment" which I have for George Hadfield Wyatt states Certificate of Discharge of No. 162 private GHWyatt 4th Contingent Imperial Australian Regiment,attested at Melbourne Victoria on 27th March 1900 at the age of 22 years.He served for 1 year and 127 days of which 1 year and 73 days was served abroad.He was a stock rider by trade.His discharge was confirmed at Melbourne 31st July 1907.
The discharge from the 2nd Scottish Horse was after 192 days service was confirmed at Johannesburg on 31st May 1902.Apparently he had enlisted at Durban 21st Nov.1901.
He died in a military hospital (Caulfield) Victoria in 1936.