Author Topic: some advice please  (Read 1695 times)

Offline barbarai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
some advice please
« on: Thursday 26 January 06 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Please can someone advise me on how to research my 2 x great uncles George and Henry Baker.  They both went to Canada in the early 1900's from Woolwich in Kent, England.

I have an address for George Baker in 1908 - which is 260 Wellington Street, Toronto.    I've had a look at the website for 1911 census but I couldn't understand all the different districts that they have on the site.  I'm not sure where Henry Baker was living but could be Toronto or Ottowa.  Is there any way I could find out when they arrived in Canada from ship Passenger lists?

Thank you.  Regards
Barbarai.
Phillips- monmouthshire & Kent, Ilsley- Berkshire & London, Reed- Lambeth & London, Drake- London, Eke- Norfolk, Martin-London,Gilson- Essex, Hubbard-Suffolk, Pevan-Russia, Gordon-I.O.W & Kent, Richardson-London & Essex, Willis-Bristol & London, Arthur -Devon & London, Burch-Beds & Herts., Bunce-Bucks & Herts, Hewey- London.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: some advice please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 January 06 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Barbarai,

There is an easier method, as long as your 2 fellows are in areas which have been transcribed...http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/index.html
as it sounds as though you'd like to do this search on your own...

Put the surname in and it will take you to the next page for the given... use the age feature with at least a year's variation, as census dates can be off...!

This is a common name,  so look carefully at the image to be sure it is your man.  (see split image screen above entry)

Lots more suggestions under resources child board...just go to the top of the thread under immigration to Canada...
(Bottom of the research in Canada thread has hints on using the census, also
should it be confusing)

Someone or I will be happy to do it for you, but we would need more than a name....dates of birth....
and if you want help tracking them, we will need name of parents, etc

As you have the street name...you can get advice on what area Wellington Street would be in....to confirm or to look should the area not be transcribed.
There are a few very knowledgeable people specializing in the Toronto area...so my next suggestion would be....hit the modify button and change
 your  subject to "TORONTO area: some advice please" and I'll bet they will
see that!

J.J.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 January 06 16:20 GMT (UK) »
I live in Toronto.  Wellington Street is in the core downtown of the city.  The area has undergone extensive renovation, and I would say, off the top of my head, that it's unlikely that the building in question would still be there.  It is a business area now.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Toronto / Wellington St
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 January 06 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Anyone?
any idea what area of the city Wellington street is, though...for when she either gets a match on the index or if she needs to use the images at collections?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline barbarai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 January 06 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello J.J.
Thank you so much for the advice, i will try the web site out and see what i can find, and thank you for your offer of help, which i may have to take you up on if i have trouble!
Thank you once again.
Regards
Barbarai
Phillips- monmouthshire & Kent, Ilsley- Berkshire & London, Reed- Lambeth & London, Drake- London, Eke- Norfolk, Martin-London,Gilson- Essex, Hubbard-Suffolk, Pevan-Russia, Gordon-I.O.W & Kent, Richardson-London & Essex, Willis-Bristol & London, Arthur -Devon & London, Burch-Beds & Herts., Bunce-Bucks & Herts, Hewey- London.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 January 06 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Barbarai...
Re: census info....Forgot to mention that the year of immigration will be on the actual image...scroll to right for more information...

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 January 06 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Based on the link you have provided, it would be Toronto Centre.  But I would have expected the address to have been specified as Wellington East or West.  You can find it on multimap.com
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline DeniseA

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 January 06 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Using this
http://www.ontarioroots.com/1911/
type in, wellington, for street, is shows Wellington Street is 'Toronto South' in 1911
Each record for wellington gives the subdistrict according to house number, 200-300 is subdistrict 51, found here. http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/Test2.jsp?sdid=5035
There are 12 pages, lots of names and very faint. The pages are not transcribed but if you click on 'PDF' it will take you to the originals. As J.J. said, the country of birth and year of immigration is beside the age on the right.
Hope it helps
~Denise

Canada/US - Aylestock, Cromwell, Lawson, Moore, Stonehouse
Kent - Cooper, Stock, Terry
Derby - Matthews, Rudkin, Sparham
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website www.collectionscanada.ca
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barbarai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 January 06 15:28 GMT (UK) »
hello

Thank you very much for that info.  I shall take a look and see if I can find him there.

Regards. Barbarai.