Author Topic: SMITH/BROWN !! Chirnside, Cockburnspath 1800-1860  (Read 2486 times)

Offline marquees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
SMITH/BROWN !! Chirnside, Cockburnspath 1800-1860
« on: Friday 27 January 06 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hope this makes sense to someone out there...  Struggling with the following:

David SMITH  b 23/02/1814 Longfomacus (parents Robert SMITH and Janet SANSON), died 1898 Chirnside. 

In June 1831 David married Jean/Jane BROWN at Bunkle & Predton. Jean/Jane was born around 1808 (parents possibly Alexander BROWN & Helen NISBET of Cockburnspath).

David and Jean/Jane were my 2xgreat grandparents and had 7 children. Although I have their OPR marriage records, various census records (1871/81/91) and David's death cert, I am struggling to find out anything to take me further back.

If anyone has any connection with any of the above I would love to hear from you and share what I have accumulated so far.

What I wouldn't give for ancestors with unusual surnames... ;D
Pam

WAUGH/RIDDELL/BRYDON/ELLIOT - Castleton, ROX
SMITH & BROWN!! - Chirnside, Cockburnspath, BEW

BRADLEY/BRECKON - Newton, Brotton, Eston, NRY

Offline dargil

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am sorry but my emails are not working.
    • View Profile
Re: SMITH/BROWN !! Chirnside, Cockburnspath 1800-1860
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 March 06 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam
I don't know if there's any connection with your Browns as I have only investigated the direct line with my lot but the areas you mentioned are virtually the same as mine.  It might pay to check out the siblings in each of my generations to see if that helps.  My Browns are from Edrom, Chirnside, Reston, Blackburnrigg and Co'path - all very close to each other.

Earliest I have is William Brown b. 1788, married Janet Wait.  Children:  William b 1788 (my line), James b 1792, Janet b 1785, Mary b 1781.

My William above married Alison Laurie.  Their children were:
Mary b 1816, Alison b 1823, Helen b 1825, James b 1825, William b 1828.

Maybe you might find something from this.  Good luck - it's very frustrating with a common surname.

Gillian
I am sorry but my emails are not working.

Offline marquees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SMITH/BROWN !! Chirnside, Cockburnspath 1800-1860
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 March 06 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillian

Thanks for the message - I'm still rather in the dark about these BROWN ancestors, but there may well be a tie-up somewhere especially given the overlap in locations - Cockburnspath, Chirnside, Edrom etc.

I will file your info away - the SMITH/BROWN file is one I've tended to put to one side while concentrating on the "easier" names  ;D

Many thanks again for the info.

Pam
WAUGH/RIDDELL/BRYDON/ELLIOT - Castleton, ROX
SMITH & BROWN!! - Chirnside, Cockburnspath, BEW

BRADLEY/BRECKON - Newton, Brotton, Eston, NRY