Author Topic: meehan & Farragher  (Read 7433 times)

Offline popsit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
meehan & Farragher
« on: Tuesday 21 September 04 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am hoping someone may be able to help. I am researching the two names given above. I am looking for any info on a family living in Shankill (and what looks like Turloughmore) around the 1885-7.
The people are:

Micheal and Bridget Meehan (nee Farragher).

Can anyone help re perhaps electoral, census, BDM's. Any thing will be really appreciated. Two of the children they had were named Mary and Micheal. Mary was born 2/4/1887. Heres hoping

Carol Orr/NZ
Be good to your Mum

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: meehan & Farragher
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 September 04 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Do you have the birth certificates of the children? These can be ordered from the GRO in Dublin or from PRONI in Belfast (I think)

Before 1864, you have to go to parish records. What was the religion? Catholic records for Shankhill are available from 1822 to 1881 in PRONI, The National Library in Dublin and at your local family history centre.

http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/fuses/rcparishmaps/index.cfm?fuseaction=showidrecords&parish=Shankill&churchid=454

There are no surviving census records until 1901.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline popsit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 September 04 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my email, it is appreciated.
Since posting my message I have found out a bit more. I shouldnt be in Armagh I should be in Galway. Today I received birth details of my Mary:

BIRTH. April 2nd 1887 at shankil turloughmore Co Galway. of Mary Meehan daughter of
icheal Meehan a peasant and Bridget Farragher birth registered by her father on April 25th 1887

There seems to be a shankil in several places. Unfortunately this birth does not give me details of any ages of the parents. I know about PRONI and try to get my info another way. Because of our dollar being so week it costs the earth going to them or any researcher hence my reason for using these message boards. There is a certified copy on its way to me for another relative from Dublin. Would you know if there would be much more info on that or is that it.

It looks like I will have to go to the Galway section and try my luck there. If I can get death details on any one of them that would be a bonus. It would have to be after 1887.

Apologies for being in the wronge place, but once again thanks for your time.

Carol/NZ
Be good to your Mum

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 December 08 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Will move this thread to Galway board in case someone can help Carol who's still looking for information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 December 08 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Popsit,I notice in Griffiths Valuation there is a Micheal Meehan listed for Shankill in the parish of Annahdown & I also found a Micheal Meehan born 1859 in the parish of Annaghdown ,could there be a connection ?Maybe Micheals father listed in G/V & Micheal's birth !!!! just an idea.Regards Nipy

Offline popsit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 December 08 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to send me your email, it is much appreciated. As I explained to the person who transfered my query to your section I have not been near this folder for at the very least two years LOL anyway I thought I had everything I was going to get so I was being told at the time. What I am asking for is a bit of time to dig out this folder and go over it which means you may not hear from me for a while, I dont want you to think I have taken the info and run. Apart from the fact I have to reaquaint myself with the info I have also another problem for me. We have a kiwifruit orchard (have you ever eaten one). In the past we have had workers do the work but now we have decided we can do it ourselves hence me not getting near the computer for days as I am out there most of the time and have to fit other pleasures in where I can.

I will get back to you at some stage to let you know how I am geting on. Again thank you lots for your info.  Merry xmasand great new year

Carol Orr
Be good to your Mum

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 December 08 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol, seasons greetings to you too & hope your not working too hard in the kiwifruit orchard & yes I've eaten them many times -like them in a fruit salad,yummy yummy!! No worries when you get some spare time to do your family history ,maybe we can help you do some more digging ,Cheers Nipy

Offline jessie2009

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 April 09 17:14 BST (UK) »
hi i am really new to this but was just browsing and came across ur post. the meehan farraghers you are talking about are relations of mine. my grandmothers house is the farraghers old house in shanhill annaghdown co galway. my gandfather was myles meehan, his father was thomas meehan.thomas meehan went to dublin and wqs married to a woman called margaret mcdermot.they owned a pub up there. my grandfather came back to annaghdown,married my granny katherine dooley, and took over the house in shanhill from a farragher man  who was closely related to him, not sure how,i must speak to my granny to get the specifics,but the farragher man was a bachelor and that was how my grandfather myles meehan ended up having the farragher home. 

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 February 12 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I know these are old posts but hopefully you will get this. The Meehan's and Farragher's of Annaghdown are on my tree too.

Please get in touch if you wish !

Tara