Author Topic: Problems after search results with FreeBMD ??  (Read 4919 times)

Offline Andy_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Problems after search results with FreeBMD ??
« on: Tuesday 21 September 04 08:20 BST (UK) »
 :-[........

After disabling Norton I finally came up with search results on freeBMD....however I won't be going back there again in a hurry....unless peeps here give me the nod ;) .

After half a dozen searches it seemed to freeze my computer......with rebooting the only way to unlock. I tried the site 3 times and this happened all 3 times and on the 3rd time , for the 1st time, my computer rebooted into 'safe' mode......

This problem is unique to freeBMD. I visit hundreds of websites each week and have done for the past 7 years without a hitch ( bar the odd virus )....why BMD? ???   .

Has anybody else had similar probs Please ?
Names: Badman, Courtney, Davis, Fitton Greenslade,  Haytor, Hyde, Martin, Turner, Williams, Yates.
Places: Ainsworth, Pilkington ( Lancs) Henstridge (Somerset )

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
Re: Problems after search results with FreeBMD ??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 08:43 BST (UK) »

Hi Andy ;D

not being a computer whiz I can't tell you why you are having the problem but I can say this -

I have Norton too and have never had to disable it to enter 1837online - nor have I ever had a problem with accessing the information.

Perhaps some of the other RootsChatters have had the same problem and can advise you.

Regards
Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 08:51 BST (UK) »
I have also had freeze-ups occaisionally. Sometimes freeBMD puts a message on it's home page saying "freeBMD is a victim of it's own success ...."

The look-ups overload the resources, and everything freezes up. This was also apparent, when they started offering images as well.

This could be a software problem at freeBMD, because other sites (e.g. '1901') seem to recognise when a search will take too long, and just abort the search with an appropriate message.

Maybe a query by freeBMD would help ?
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Andy_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Darcy,

is the 1837 census online there?? :o :o...didn't know that.  :D

I've been searching just under the general search for B.M & D's....and wanted me to disable some part of  Norton to let me in.....I know nowt about computers really....so i just disabled norton completely ::)

Just in case theres more than one site this is the site I mean : http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ .....is this where the 1837 is :)

Hi Bob,

Your comment makes me think that its the wa y free bmd uses cookies ...... and then the whole server/reference issue......Its probably cost oriented then....freebmd doesnt have the resource of LSD or the govs 1901 and so has to settle for the cheapest server/platform  :-[   .....but if the site above is the site youve both been using I will give it another run :-\ :)

regards
Andy
Names: Badman, Courtney, Davis, Fitton Greenslade,  Haytor, Hyde, Martin, Turner, Williams, Yates.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

FreeBDM is great - so don't give up on it. Last week they had alot of problems and this may have caused your "freezing". I find I can usually get out of that with the Ctrl Alt Del (Microsofts answer to everything).

They are  very successful and consequently overloaded(Being non commercial makes it difficult to increase resources). So much easier to find someone there than on 1837online (and cheaper). Living in Australia makes it easier to use BMD at quiet times (Abt 12 midnight to 6am GMT). Try it late one evening. It can still be a slow search, so just let it sit and do something else while you wait.

Trish

PS I use Norton's and have never had to disable anything (maybe I set it too low??)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,

Yes, http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ , that's the site !

The references to 1837 are not to a census, but to the GRO BMD indexes at http://www.1837online.com/

1837online costs money to view, whereas freeBMD doesn't.
... Another advantage of the freeBMD over 1837 is that if you think you have one person in a marriage, you can look on that page and (possibly) find the other one !
... and another advantage, you can put more in the search box, than 1837 (first three letters of the surname !)

And, a new service (2 months or so) is that you can now download the same images, which you pay for at 1837 !

So, as Trish says, Don't give up !
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 09:19 BST (UK) »
Yes Andy I agree with Trish. I find it a great site and have had very little trouble with access and freezing but as Trish rightly mentions it may be easier with us here in Oz as it is not as busy. If Rootschat is any example of when things r at there busiest then in our Oz daytime hours it does get incredibly quiet on here. I can come on some days and find nobody at all and at most two or three besides myself....now as it is my early evening it is getting a lot busier. assuming it to be the same all over the board I suspect that is y people in UK and Europe have a lot more problems than we in the Southern Hemisphere have. Dont give up it is a great free resource.
Kris ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 09:30 BST (UK) »
 :) :)

Thanks Trish & Bob, thats the sort of encouragment I need to persavere.... :D
     Now I have tied the images....& census search in the last 10mins....with norton of full security but if scrolling down the main page & click on search , then enter details of b, m or d...and send it comes up with this norton thing............. ;D ;D...but not to worry about this im off to search a bit mare :D ::)

HI Kris......  :)   Thanks.   I know from running a weather forum website, that, when busy times come, all sorts of things compound probs, but in particular when there are a lot of people 'online' it slows up the system or even stops.'

I will keep looking  :)

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi again Andy,

you must think me daft - and you're not far wrong!

I don't know why I typed 1837online - I meant FreeBMD.

The dead rellies have my head in a muddle.

Sorry if I confused you - I am really good at that!
Darcy ;)
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk