Author Topic: Farm address in Rescobie  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Jim Murray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Farm address in Rescobie
« on: Sunday 29 January 06 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone identify or pinpoint an address of one of my ancestors recorded on a Rescobie parish record in1788.

It is difficult to read but looks like 'Cottor of Chapelloon'.

Thank you.

Jim Murray

Offline Sherlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Farm address in Rescobie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 January 06 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I think his occupation is "cottar"
Andrew, Donald (Wester Highlands), Muckersie (Perth), Symon(s) (Dundee)

Offline Sherlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 January 06 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Should have added  -Cottar -  A tenant occupying a cottage with or without land attached to it, a married farmworker who has a cottage as part of his contract (cot-house - tied farmworker's cottage)
Andrew, Donald (Wester Highlands), Muckersie (Perth), Symon(s) (Dundee)

Offline Jim Murray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 January 06 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sherlock,

You have clarified what 'cottar' is exactly.

Can anyone locate the place?

Jim Murray

Offline langbank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 January 06 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Chapelloon doesn't look right. Guess it could be Chapeltoon or Chapelton. From modern gazetteer at www.geo.ed.ac.uk gives "A hamlet of E Angus, Chapelton lies 2½ miles (4 km) west of Inverkeilor and 5 miles (8 km) northwest of Arbroath."
Any help

Alastair

McKenzie, MacKenzie, Bowie, Buie, Cairns, Acton, Jolly, Watt, Murray, Logan, Laidlaw, McGuckian

Offline Jim Murray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 January 06 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alastair,

I think you are probably right about the place name being 'Chapeltoon' as the parish recorder doesn't seem always to cross his 't's.

However the hamlet you have discovered seems too far away from Rescobie.  I think what I am after is an estate or farm which may have disappeared, although in my experience of these country areas they usually live on into the present day.

Yours
Jim

Offline langbank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 January 06 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim
Rescobie was also the name of the parish. I am interested as my granmother, Grafather and gggranfather came from Rescobie, Oathlaw and round about.
From Genuki:
Rescobie
" .... of an irregular figure, comprehending about 16 or 18 miles, mostly in cultivation, with some thriving fir plantations, and very little waste ground. The soil is various, being partly rich and fertile, and partly poor and unproductive; but of late, has been greatly improved by the use of marl, which is found not only in the loch of Rescobie, which occupies the middle part of the parish, but also in the lochs of Balgavies and Restenet, one of which bounds it on the North East, the other on the South West. The loch of Rescobie is about a mile long, and half a mile broad, and is one of the lakes formed by the river Lunan, in its course towards the bay of Lunan, where it discharges itself into the ocean." (The Gazetteer of Scotland, W Chalmers, Dundee 1803)

Best wishes
Alastair

McKenzie, MacKenzie, Bowie, Buie, Cairns, Acton, Jolly, Watt, Murray, Logan, Laidlaw, McGuckian

Offline langbank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 January 06 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim
Rushed the last reply; apologies for the spelling!
An 1850 map of this area shows Chapelton in Rescobie parish and only about 8? miles from Rescobie and  close to Rescobie Loch.
"Coasts of Scotland on marine charts, 1580-1831
Name: Knox, James, fl. 1800-1856   
Title: Map of the Basin of the Tay, including the greater part of Perth Shire, Strathmore and the Braes of Angus or Forfar.   
Imprint: Edinburgh : W. & A. K. Johnston, 1850."
This can be found at
 http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/early/coasts.cfm?id=842
You can zoom in on the map and see location of Chapelton which is marked.
Does not seem to be anything else of a similar name in this area.

Regards
Alastair

Offline Jim Murray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, Alastair,

The map is brilliant and, as you say, shows Chapelton and where it comes in Rescobie Parish.  Maybe I will see it for myself one day in the flesh.

Most of my ancestors were based more to the north in Angus and Kincardine.  The folk with connections to Rescobie, Carmyllie, Inverkeilor and Arbirlot were
Kerrs, Mortons, Kinnears, and Keillors.  Would you have any connections?

Yours
Jim