Author Topic: Info about parish records  (Read 4677 times)

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Info about parish records
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 10:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response but the nearest centre to me is literally 100 miles away and is open 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening!!

Would it be really worth seeing these films is there much info that isn't on the site?

Thanks for all your help with this.anjo

Anjo

It's a real shame that you cannot get to a LDS FHC. 

Generally speaking the answer to your question is Yes!  I would say though, that this is variable, and that very early records (the earliest established Church records start at about 1538 and are often in Latin!) are usually extremely difficult to read and do not often yield much more information, though you do have the satisfaction of checking them for yourself and making up your own mind, rather than relying on someone else's transcription.

From 1754 when the Marriage Act came into force, there is generally more information in the marriage register, with witnesses names and the introduction of the banns book. From about 1810, most parishes used pre-printed baptismal registers which include spaces for address and father's occupation. From 1837, the information in marriage registers is essentially what you would find on a purchased marriage certificate from a Record Office, with bride and groom's father's names and occupations and the names of the marriage witnesses. 

The LDS British Vital Records Index does give more information about the available records recorded on it than the IGI, which is only really an index to the LDS Library films.  Derbyshire is well represented on the VRI, and if you would like me to check to see if anything relevant to you is contained on it let me know.

Rick
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 11:06 BST (UK) »
Just to add to Rick's response, what I have found very useful on the LDS films are the Death (funeral) records. Very few of these are in the online index, but all the films I have checked contain these records (very time consuming searching for a death on film over 10-30 years!)

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 11:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Trish the death records would be a boon I have a copy of St Oswalds MI but hardly any of my ancesters are mentioned probably too poor to afford a headstone. What sort of info do the death records give?
All the best Anjo

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 11:43 BST (UK) »
Just to add to Rick's response, what I have found very useful on the LDS films are the Death (funeral) records. Very few of these are in the online index, but all the films I have checked contain these records (very time consuming searching for a death on film over 10-30 years!)

Trish

Trish

Good point!  Forgot all about burials........invaluable!

Rick
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 September 04 10:49 BST (UK) »
The burials can contain very little - often just a name and date. For married women they may have the husbands name and sometimes (especially if young) the parent (usually only father) of either sex may be given. I haven't searched alot of films (as mentioned it is time consuming) so someone else may be able to add more.

Trish

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 September 04 16:45 BST (UK) »
I agree with Trish except I was very lucky when for one of my ancestors it gave his parents.

It does save you chasing the wrong person when you find a death for someone who died young.

Have you tried familyhistoryonline?  You could be lucky.

Sylviaann
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 September 04 18:05 BST (UK) »
I am already saving, Making notes of who I want to find, arranging baby sitters and with the luck of God I will be on my way very soon.
    Thanks for all your help you have been great.