Author Topic: Info about parish records  (Read 4678 times)

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Info about parish records
« on: Tuesday 21 September 04 15:57 BST (UK) »
What I need now is parish records from various places to tie up some loose ends in my research. Where can you purchase copies and would they be microfiche or cd

I would like St Oswalds, of Ashbourne, Derbyshire records and I think it is St Mary's of Mayfield, Staffordshire.
Also St Mary's of Stanton, Staffordshire. Do records come by church or county.

Don't know if any of these are available or in what format I hoping some kind soul can enlighten me. Thanks anjo

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Info about parish records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 16:40 BST (UK) »
First port of call should be http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryEngland.htm#PageTitle. I found masses of information there.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 16:59 BST (UK) »
What I need now is parish records from various places to tie up some loose ends in my research. Where can you purchase copies and would they be microfiche or cd

I would like St Oswalds, of Ashbourne, Derbyshire records and I think it is St Mary's of Mayfield, Staffordshire.
Also St Mary's of Stanton, Staffordshire. Do records come by church or county.

Don't know if any of these are available or in what format I hoping some kind soul can enlighten me. Thanks anjo

Anjo

The Derbyshire Lookup Exchange offers lookups from the Parish Register of St Oswalds Ashbourne.  There is often much more information in the registers than what appears on the IGI, which is only intended to be an index. 

http://www.faulkes.co.uk/lookup/derbys.htm

The Derbshire Family History Society and the Derbyshire Record Office, may be able to help to obtain copies of the records you seek.

http://www.dfhs.org.uk/index.html

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/azserv/libh010.htm

Rick

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 18:52 BST (UK) »
Derbyshire Parish registers I am afraid are not available to buy on fiche or CD because the head archivist believes this would breach the copyright held by the present incumbents of those parishes.  Now therein lies another thread.  Staffs PR's can be bought from Stafford Records office and a search on genuki.com should get you the address required to email for more details.

Slowly but surely some derbyshire people are transcribing these PR's to disc/book but as yet Ashbourne hasn't been done

Other than that not much more can be said, maybe a post to the derbyshire lookup exchange may be in order or a trip to Matlock ( if you can)

WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 19:02 BST (UK) »
Wow Thanks everybody I will check out all the links you gave me. Thanks for all your time and trouble. At least now I have somewhere to start Much appreciated.
All the best anjo

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 19:07 BST (UK) »
If you live near an LDS family history centre you can look at films of the Parish registers and census for yourself.  There is a very small charge but it does mean you can look through all the years available.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 20:15 BST (UK) »
I have looked around the sites mentioned and none seem to be just what I am looking for the best I could find was a disk covering marriages in Ashbourne but only covering 1813 to 1837. I am looking for records covering years earlier to that. I have exhausted the Lds site for info. The only other options were to buy individual records which is costly.  Most were just listings for info available in libraries or for getting someone to do research for you. Maybe I missed something but that was all I could find.

I don't live in England so the library is out. And half the fun of doing my research is finding out for myself and seeing info as it was. Does anyone have any other suggestions. Or will I have to save up for a trip to England??  Archive books had some parish records but none that covered the areas I wanted.

Thanks for everything. All the best Anjo

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 23:31 BST (UK) »
I have looked around the sites mentioned and none seem to be just what I am looking for the best I could find was a disk covering marriages in Ashbourne but only covering 1813 to 1837. I am looking for records covering years earlier to that. I have exhausted the Lds site for info. The only other options were to buy individual records which is costly.  Most were just listings for info available in libraries or for getting someone to do research for you. Maybe I missed something but that was all I could find.

I don't live in England so the library is out. And half the fun of doing my research is finding out for myself and seeing info as it was. Does anyone have any other suggestions. Or will I have to save up for a trip to England??  Archive books had some parish records but none that covered the areas I wanted.

Thanks for everything. All the best Anjo

Anjo

If you search the LDS library;

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

you will see that they have a lot of films for Ashbourne which are available for hire for viewing at any LDS Family History Centre worldwide, as Sylviann suggested.  Wherever you live, within reason, there is bound to be one near you.

I agree it is lovely when you can check out records for yourself in the comfort of your own home, and some County Record Offices will sell you microfiches of their Parish Record holdings, but sadly it seems that Derbyshire do not.

Rick

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 23:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response but the nearest centre to me is literally 100 miles away and is open 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening!!

Would it be really worth seeing these films is there much info that isn't on the site?

Thanks for all your help with this.anjo