Poll

Is therer a birth record for

I am looking for the birth record of
0 (0%)
Alexander Herschell
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Herschells of Montrose  (Read 1100 times)

Offline hburgess7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Herschells of Montrose
« on: Monday 30 January 06 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Herschell was born in Montrose in 1844-48. How can I get a birth record for him . Can anyone help ?
Davies  wallasey , liverpool

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Herschells of Montrose
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 February 06 00:30 GMT (UK) »
It may be that any record which may have existed has not survived.

Try www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk to see if there is a baptism entry in the Church of Scotland parish register.

If not, then it is possible that he (or rather, his parents) may have been (an) adherent(s) of some other denomination than the Church of Scotland - Free Church of Scotland, Episcopal Church of Scotland, Roman Catholic, or any one of many others.

There are some records of other denominations in the National Archives of Scotland www.nas.gov.uk but many, notably most Episcopal and RC records, remain with the churches.

I see that the IGI lists a marriage in Montrose in 1847 of David Herschell to Janet Davidson - could they possibly be Alexander's parents?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.