Author Topic: ROSTHORNS in East Lancashire - any date  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
ROSTHORNS in East Lancashire - any date
« on: Friday 03 February 06 19:55 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in making contact with anyone interested in the surname ROSTHORN or ROSTHRON, ROSTRON, RAWSTHORNE etc.  My earliest ancestor is George Rosthorn born in Wilpshire, Blackburn, Lancs in 1871.  He had at least one son Thomas born in Wilpshire in 1818.  I also have an Edward and a Hargreaves - all Rosthorn or Rosthron.  The movement of the family in the 19th century seems to have been Blackburn / Chorley / Accrington.  Many thanks.
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzi600

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROSTHORNS in East Lancashire - any date
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 September 06 20:06 BST (UK) »
I know a Frank Rosthorne age around 70 living in Baxenden nr. Accrington
Pollard , Corns .................. Lancashire
Brannen Wexford
McHugh Co.Mayo
Perry , Stafford and Lancashire

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 September 06 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzie,
Thanks for responding.  The problem I have with my Rosthorns is that my great grandfather Edward born 1844 in Blackburn, married 3 times  but only had 2 sons, one of whom died young.  This Edward's father, Thomas born 1818 in Wilpshire, Blackburn, married twice but Edward appears to have been his only son in a large family of 9 girls, thus the surname disappeared with the marriages of these girls.  Edward's only surviving son Hargreaves was born in 1882 in Accrington and was my grandfather so I have 'my' Rosthorns well documented from him and I have not come across a Frank.  To see a possible connection to a modern-day Frank, unless there are male children I have missed, I would have to go back to a John Rosthorn of unknown birth date who had 3 sons, all born in the Wilpshire, Blackburn area.  George born 1781 (my gt gt gt grandfather), John born 1786 and Thomas born 1791.  Perhaps Frank Rosthorne is a descendant of either John or Thomas.

Since the beginning of the 20th C my family have spelt their name ROSTHORN, but the earlier back I go the more variant spellings I find, including ROSTHORNE.

Regards,
Maggie
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzi600

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 September 06 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi. Maggie

goodluck with your search I know where he lives and phone No

S