Author Topic: Drunguroch? Perth or Fife? for Beatrix Kennedy 1725?  (Read 3744 times)

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Drunguroch? Perth or Fife? for Beatrix Kennedy 1725?
« on: Saturday 04 February 06 04:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,
I am confused as to where this place is.
Drunguroch.
it is in reference to a Birth of Beatrix Kennedy, 13 Nov 1725.
It is a submission on the IGI,  but where did the info come from?
it says father James Morrison and mother Mary Kennedy. they also had a Mary 1722.

This Beatrix married Robert Pattullo/Pattillo 11 Oct 1741, in St Martins, Perthshire.....

Does anyone have any clues? ???
kenjo
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Drunguroch? Perth or Fife? for Beatrix Kennedy 1725?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 06 13:15 GMT (UK) »
It's not on Genuki, not on parloc and not on Google - so ???  There is a 2nd entry on the IGI where it is spelt Drumguroch - but that isn't anywhere either.
There are no matches on Scotlands people for a Beatr* Kennedy born 1725 +/-2

I think it is the figment of a rich imagination

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 February 06 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Kenjo,

Why would her name be Kennedy if her father was Morison?  I know married Scottish ladies were often called by the maiden name, but  Beatrix was the daughter and therefore should be Morison. 

There is an extracted record on the IGI for the birth and baptism of Beatrix Morison, father James mother Ann Kennedy in the Episcopal Church in Muthill, Perth, same date.  They also had Jean (1718), John (1720), Mary (1722) and James (1728).

The mystery place may be the name of a house/small settlement not showing in that form on a current map.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 February 06 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kenjo,

I did a search on Multimap and although there wasn't a match for Drun(m)guroch, there were 3 other 'options', all in Scotland.

These were: Drumchork, Highland Region; Drumnagarrach, Morayshire and Darngarroch, Dumfries and Galloway.

As the spelling you have is from an IGI submission, it may well be that whoever originally submitted the details 'guessed' what the actual word was. Having read through quite a few OPR's, the farther back you go, the more difficult the handwriting is to read. There is also the possibility it could have been the name of a farm rather than a village.

Were Beatrix and Mary both illegitimate? I looked in the BVR's for a Mary or Beatrix Kennedy/Morrison but couldn't find any which matched.

There are quite a few Pittillo families listed starting from 1640 right up to 1846.

Interestingly, I found this birth (I know it's not around the times you're looking at, but as it's such an unusual name I thought I'd post it anyway)

Beatrix PITTILLO, Birth Date: 14 Mar 1800   
Christening Date: 16 Mar 1800
Recorded in: Perth, Perthshire, Scotland
Collection: Associate Session Congregation
Father: Samuel PITTILLO, Mother: Agnes YOUNG

Anne

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 February 06 15:23 GMT (UK) »
I think it is the figment of a rich imagination

Trish

I love this Trish.....

I have sat on this Union for years....and wouldn't have it....
Robert pattillo and Beatrix Kennedy...being the parents of Alexander Andrew Jamesetc. who all came to Aberdeen and Alex went on to Canada.....
Because these children and descendants NEVER EVER used the names Robert or Beatrix to the modern day. I found it very hard to have this couple as the parents.....
Years ago I spoke to a Very Clever Man called Alan Pattillo ( of Thunderbirds fame).... he wrote a book on this family,(which I have yet to purchase...) :-[
I went into shock after doing the tree, hiring films and so on, only to find that the tree had been done.....by Alan.
I asked him about Robert and Beatrix and that I got that far, and stopped......He promised me that they are the parents......He has it from a ancestor...Pirie....
...I have never taken it further....
Until the very wonderful Grothenwell, answered my call for the MI for Andrew Pattillo in Forgue Aberdeen stating that Andrew was in fact 71 yrs old in 1821, which would make him born 1749..... So girls.....What you are reading about Robert and Beatrix on the IGI is all I know about them as well.....
I hadn't seen these entries about Morrison until today....
I suppose I will have to buy the book or Hire a film.....
Thanks for trying for me..
It's hard once you don't have certificates to prove anything, isn't it....
I do appreciate the efforts.
Joanne. 8)

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 February 06 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Continued..

There is an extracted record on the IGI for the birth and baptism of Beatrix Morison, father James mother Ann Kennedy in the Episcopal Church in Muthill, Perth, same date.  They also had Jean (1718), John (1720), Mary (1722) and James (1728).

Sorry Nell, This is a great find.... do we all agree....
I don't know what to make of the submission, maybe it was done back in the 70's.
 I like this entry Nell.  So she may have been illegitimate.?
I get a bit shakey, if it is not plain sailing....
Thanks again. don't hesitate to guide me again, girls.. :-*

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 February 06 21:14 GMT (UK) »
So she may have been illegitimate.?

No reason to think so - Scottish records usually show mother's name like that.  Whatever is the truth, more digging required to find it.  ;)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 February 06 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly, I found this birth (I know it's not around the times you're looking at, but as it's such an unusual name I thought I'd post it anyway)

Beatrix PITTILLO, Birth Date: 14 Mar 1800   
Christening Date: 16 Mar 1800
Recorded in: Perth, Perthshire, Scotland
Collection: Associate Session Congregation
Father: Samuel PITTILLO, Mother: Agnes YOUNG

Anne
This is interesting Anne,
Robert and Beatrix, had some odd childrens names.
There was a Patrick Cecil and George,  so they may have had a Samuel.. or Samuel is a grandchild.... I will look into this... They seam to be having possible children in Forteviot, and St Martins, sometimes, just under Robert Patillo....
NB.. the name Pattillo seems to either be this way of spelling or Pattullo....and my family consistantly like the 'i' as to the 'u'........the further back you go,it is Patti(u)llock.
Mind you I haven't got any further back...

The families that ended up in Aberdeen, continually used the names Alexander (after the Alex that left for Canada, he too has a book written about him).
Andrew, John, Margaret, Jean, Isabel, and ANN.

Maybe Beatrix and Robert were the parents from Hell, and the children, never wanted to be reminded of them.... ::)

Thanks for this.
Jo

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 February 06 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo

I wasn't really thinking it was imagination - but I do get annoyed when user submissions don't at least spell names properly (and as there were two spelt differently, at least one had a problem). It may be worth seeing the full submissions?

I also thought about the name but for some reason didn't search the Morrison. I was wondering if Beatrix may have married a Kennedy, hence the reason for the submission being in that name? But the find from Nell looks most interesting.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk