Author Topic: Worksop Suicide  (Read 1555 times)

Offline misha888

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Worksop Suicide
« on: Monday 06 February 06 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have an ancestor from Worksop, Notts, who according to her death certificate, in 1861,  "destroyed herself in a fit of temporary insanity"! Does anyone know if this actually means anything specific? On the parish records she is listed as having commited suicide, but ive had no luck with coroners records or local papers, so have no idea what the means and circumstances were. I would be grateful if anyone could offer any advice for further avenues of investigation...
Retford, Notts: Lane, Marsh, Theaker, Jeffrey, Jervas, Savage & Hindley. Worksop, Notts: Hall, Neep, Thorn, Smith & Hodkin. Bedford: Wilson & Whitfield. Peterborough, Hunts: Beeby, Sawyer, Rimes, Redhead & Lowe. Kent: Simmonds & Wood. Newcastle: Forster & Talbot.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Worksop Suicide
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 February 06 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat.

Yes this does mean something specific and it was very important in cases of suicide to have the verdict of the coroners court to be 'during a period of temporary insanity'. It meant that in an age of strong religious fervour that the burial of the person could be performed with all the attendant rites.

Only rarely the verdict was that the person was of sound mind which was called felo-de-se. This meant that the burial had to take place during the night without anyof the normal religious rites. None of these burials were entered in the parish registers so if it was before 1837 the only record is in the local press. This type of burial could happen until the law changed in 1882.

The temporary insanity came from the thinking at the time that no one could destroy themselves if of full vigour of mind.

Ref: Viewing the lifeless body B Heathcote Notts Co Co 2005

If you PM me the name of your relative I will look if they are mentioned in the book. Also what local papers have you tried?

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline misha888

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Worksop Suicide
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 February 06 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jane, its all very interesting!
Retford, Notts: Lane, Marsh, Theaker, Jeffrey, Jervas, Savage & Hindley. Worksop, Notts: Hall, Neep, Thorn, Smith & Hodkin. Bedford: Wilson & Whitfield. Peterborough, Hunts: Beeby, Sawyer, Rimes, Redhead & Lowe. Kent: Simmonds & Wood. Newcastle: Forster & Talbot.