Author Topic: Coming across Catholic marriages...  (Read 5468 times)

Offline buttercup

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Coming across Catholic marriages...
« on: Monday 06 February 06 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

As i delve deeper into the past, surprisingly im coming across  a few Catholic marriages... and as usual im getting somewhat confused   :(

Ive taken references from freebmd and certificates have come back with the name of Catholic church etc, ok no problem there.

Then ive noticed the same marriages on Lancashirebmd but theyve occurred in the Register office?? Was this the norm ??? I wouldnt be surprised if im missing something here  ::)

Also would Catholic baptisms and marriages be recorded on a site such as familysearch??? Would they even be available at family research centres? Or where would the best place be to search Catholic registers?

The reason i ask about baptisms is because knowing parents have married in a Catholic church ive found no trace of their childrens birth registers  >:( And these births happened in the 1850's through to the 1880's, surely they would have been registered!!

Anyhoo, if someone could set my facts straight id be most overjoyed  ;D
Regards Jen
HURST, RUDD, BANKS, APPLETON, BRYAN, RIGBY, ORMSHAW, PICKERING - Lancashire
BRYAN, PICKERING - Cheshire
BROWN, TURK - East Sussex

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Coming across Catholic marriages...
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 February 06 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

When a marriage took place in a Catholic Church, a Registrar has to authorise it, so either the Registrar attended the Church or the bride and groom went to the Register Office for a civil ceremony after the church.  This is why they are noted on LancashireBMD as Register Office.

Personally, I haven't found any Catholic marriages on the LDS site, and in fact if you check Catholic Church Records which have been filmed for the Record Office, then they haven't (or at least those I've seen) been filmed by the LDS but by another company.

Last point about birth registrations, although it was a requirement after 1837 many births were not registered, especially if money was short.  Parents would rather feed the children than register them.  If you know the church were the parents were married, I would try the baptismal registers for the same one, or a church nearby.

Hope this helps.
Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline buttercup

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 February 06 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou so much Mary!!  :D

Certainly clears up some confusion...

I do know which church the parents got married in so i guess il see what i can do about getting access to records!

Thanks again for your help!
Regards Jen
HURST, RUDD, BANKS, APPLETON, BRYAN, RIGBY, ORMSHAW, PICKERING - Lancashire
BRYAN, PICKERING - Cheshire
BROWN, TURK - East Sussex

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 04:36 BST (UK) »
Along the same lines ... I have a set of 3G-grandparents, both of whom were born in Ireland, and who were therefore almost certainly Catholic, wandering around Sussex in the early 1800s.  I have found at least 4 children whose births are recorded in later census returns as Rye, Iden, Lock, and Pett (all within 10 miles of Rye) between 1801 and 1813.

I've done a little research,and it seems that there were no Catholic churches in or around Rye in those days, and none of these births are recorded by the LDS.  So I'm guessing that baptisms would have taken place in some unofficial place of Catholic worship - perhaps the house of a prominent Catholic.  But then, presumably, there would be no records.

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether this scenario is accurate?

Another thought ... the father was in the army - the army didn't keep records of births to enlisted men, did they?

Cheers
Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 06:44 BST (UK) »
The army did keep a record of army baptisms by army chaplains but these wouldn't be Catholic. You will find them in the overseas section at the Family Records Centre. They go back as far as 1761.

At the beginning of civil registration in 1837 the government did a deal with most non-conformist churches to give up their registers. In return the government recognised them as legal documents. These registers are at The National Archives and were therefore available to be indexed on the IGI. Very few Catholic churches if any gave up their records. County record offices are Anglican diocesan record offices so this is where Anglican churches deposited their records and where they are ususally available to be indexed and filmed for the IGI (but not always depending on the dicoesan attitude to the Mormon church - which is why only about 3% of Northamptonshire and Somerset registers are on the IGI). Other non-conformist churches such as the Methodists may deposit their records at county record offices but this is not the norm for all non-conformist churches e.g. Quakers and Catholics. To find the whereabouts of Catholic registers I would contact the Catholic Family History Society.

http://www.catholic-history.org.uk/cfhs/

Before civil registration in July 1837 other than Jewish and Quaker marriages all marriages which did not occur in an Anglican church were illegal.

Mary's point about birth registration is quite correct up to 1875 when a fine was imposed for non-registration of births, however I think more births were registered than people assume when they find it difficult to find the birth or birth registrations they are looking for. Sometimes a little flexibility is needed for instance in the spelling of the surname or in other variations like that.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 07:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda.  My army births were not overseas - they were while the father was serving in Sussex, so I guess that resource is not going to help.

Although very few Catholic churches may have given up their registers, my problem is much more fundamental - there was no church where my folks were born.  Hence my question about whether it was likely they would have been baptized in an unofficial Catholic house of worship and, if so, whether it is likely that there ever were any records at all!

Cheers
Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 09:25 BST (UK) »
If you don't know the church your Catholic ancestors attended, it is so hard to find them, for the reasons given in this thread.

I have found some of mine courtesy of info from a Rootschatter, kind Catholic authorities in London pointing me in the right direction and searching their registers for me, and luck!

I have found that my 3xggrandfather Thomas Martin, for his first marriage in 1793, married in the Catholic church (for his faith) and the following day in St Martin in the Fields (obviously for legal reasons!!!)  So for those who know the names of your Catholic ancestors who married, you may find them on the IGI marrying in a C of E, and this may mean there was an (unofficial) Catholic marriage before or after.

Valda - could you clarify something for me, please?  I had understood, perhaps erroneously, that Catholic marriages were legal after the Catholic Emancipation Act of 1829.  If it was not till 1837, that could explain two of my Catholics marrying in St Pancras Old Church in early 1837.  Do please let me know!!!

Thanks,

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 19:38 BST (UK) »
They married in Pancras Old Church precisely because Catholic marriages were illegal until July 1837, so they married in an Anglican church to make their marriage legal. That way their children would be legitimate in the eyes of the state. After July 1837 civil marriages before registrars became legal. That did not change the status of Anglican marriages where the Anglican clergy were treated by the law like registrars, but all other marriages in any other churches required a registrar present to make the marriage legal. Any marriages conducted in these churches without a registrar would have been illegal.

Concerning army baptisms - army chaplains were with the troops wherever they might be stationed, at home or abroad. Consequently they conducted baptisms and marriages both in Britain and overseas. Army registers for marriages and baptisms are held in the Overseas section of the Family Records Centre, despite the fact they will include some events that were not overseas.
However army chaplains were (until a later period) only Anglicansm, so Catholic servicemen and other non--conformists would not have had their children baptised by them and even Anglican servicemen might choose to use the local church, particularly where an army chaplain was not available.

I think before you know for certain there was no Catholic church in the area your ancestors were in (and non-conformists were prepared to travel distances to their nearest church) it would be best to consult the Catholic Family History Society about Catholic parishes in Sussex during the period you are interested in.

e.g. a quick search on the internet found this booklet at Brighton History Centre. It doesn't covered the right period and it is further west, but then it is Brighton History Centre information so you would expect that.

West Sussex Catholic registers of Arundel, Brockhampton, Burton, Cowdray, Slindon and West Grinstead 1698-1800 Baptisms West Sussex Catholic Registers Baptisms 1698-1800 SFHG Booklet 929.3 SUS

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline forshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda,
Would you know anything about converting to Catholicism. I have a marrige occured at St John Preston CE in 1858. Their first son was also baptised there. All susequent children were baptised in St wilfrids Preston which is RC. I can only presume the family converted. Would there be any records of a conversion? I wonder if the parents would have to be re-baptised and confirmed.
Pam 
Archbald, Atherton Boardman, Bolton, Bowdler, Brown, Carmichael, Craig, Forshaw, Gray, Haig, Hall, Hodson/Hodgson, Hogg, Hudson, Millar, Murray, Pringle, Reynolds/Wrenalls, Shuttleworth, Swarbrick, Tait, Turner, White.