Author Topic: Missing records from early 20th C  (Read 667 times)

Offline lisajk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing records from early 20th C
« on: Tuesday 07 February 06 22:59 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to research two separate branches of the family and am having difficulty locating records from around 1900 - 1940.  In one case I have a birth certificate from 1905 with the name of the father, William Henry Band, and mother, Ellen Marion Band but her maiden name is not clear (something like Dendale or Deadale but the second two letters are indistinct).  I can find someone I think is probably William on the marriage records for 1902 (full name and location are right) but when I search the corresponding part of the marriage records for Ellen I can't find her; although her maiden name is not clear I am 100% sure it begins with D and have scoured all the Ds. 

Also I have a similar problem with another branch of the family in that I think I have a birth and death record for Frederick Henry Kerslake 1894 - 1945 but nothing in between that corresponds exactly and I know he was married with at least one child. 

My question is, do records sometimes get missed off the registers, or is it more likely I don't have the right people? ???
Cornwall/Devon: Band, Kerslake, Rakestrow, Strutt
London/Essex: Barber, Osborne
Scotland: Kerslake, Heslin, Allan

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing records from early 20th C
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisajk

With regards to William Henry BAND who married 1902 ................... go to http://freebmd.rootseb.com and click on the ref/page number by his name - this will give two possible spouses - one of these listed as Ellen Marion TESDALE - is that near enough ???

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Frederick Kerslake was 20 when WWI started. He may have married later than usual as a consequence and you may only find a marriage after 1919 or even later as many ex-soldiers had difficulty finding work.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jones the Search

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 23:08 GMT (UK) »
     :)   http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/  :)
Missed out the w ::)

Patricia   :D
Short: Lincolnshire; India;London;Scotland; Limerick; Belfast<br />Lane: Surrey/London/Northampton/Hereford/Cheshire/Staffordshire<br />Occomore: Hampshire; London<br />Heaton: Yorkshire; Derbyshire;London
Cutts: London;Derbyshire; Yorkshire;Lancashire
One Name Study -  OCCOMORE
~~~~~~~~-------
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lisajk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!  Another useful way of using Rootsweb data!  Tesdale sounds right - guess the registrar misheard..... ;)

Re. Frederick Kerslake, I know his son had a child of his own in 1939, so I was thinking FK must have been married prior to around 1923 in order to make that possible; I have checked the records from  1910 - 1923 and can't find an exact match - a few possibles but none of them correspond when you check the detail.  The son died fairly recently in Scotland however so once I have his birth record hopefully that will help me pinpoint his father's marriage. 

Lisa
Cornwall/Devon: Band, Kerslake, Rakestrow, Strutt
London/Essex: Barber, Osborne
Scotland: Kerslake, Heslin, Allan