Author Topic: Army Cook  (Read 1620 times)

Offline acceber

• RootsChat Senior
  • G-Grandmother
    • View Profile
Army Cook
« on: Thursday 09 February 06 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello

My Grt-Grandmother is recorded on a birth certificate in 1919 as being an army cook in Birmingham. Does anyone know what this job entailed e.g was it in a barracks etc, or where I could get information about it from.

Also does anyone know of any barracks etc in Birmingham, the address on the birth certificate is Felix (?) House, St Vincent St, Birmingham, but im not sure if this is her residence or what.

Any help appreciated
Thanks

acceber
Pattemore: Somerset - Sellick: Glous + Somerset -Sparrow: Glous + Wilts

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Army Cook
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 February 06 15:16 GMT (UK) »
I imagine it has got to be a barracks of some sort, I think the problem is which. I don't know just how many there were at that time, but the short answer is loads!

plus the influx of men coming out of the army and on to the job market meant that the likelyhood of having to travel to get to your job was much increased

good luck

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 February 06 09:42 GMT (UK) »
its possible she worked at the birmingham small arms works they would need an army of cooks for all the people that worked there,it was under army control in ww1,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline acceber

• RootsChat Senior
  • G-Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 February 06 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, its given me some starting points to look into this further :)

acceber
Pattemore: Somerset - Sellick: Glous + Somerset -Sparrow: Glous + Wilts