Author Topic: Frederick Morgan - Can anyone identify the uniform/regiment?  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Frederick Morgan - Can anyone identify the uniform/regiment?
« on: Friday 10 February 06 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Here is a couple of pictures of my Great Uncle Frederick Morgan.

I believe the first one to have been taken during WW1 and the second to have been taken in WW2.

On the back of the second one it is stamped "Valette Studio, 32 Bank Hey St. Blackpool" and it is dated 22 Sep 1942.

Looking at the second photo, it looks like he could have wings on his arm, so he could have been in the RAF .....

If anyone can help me identify his uniform, I would be very grateful as I would love to find his Medal card and to be able to get more of a picture of him, as he was a bit of a black sheep!

Kind regards,
Chui

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Morgan - Can anyone identify the uniform/regiment?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 February 06 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chui,

I think that you will find that both are from the 2nd ww. The first has what looks like the insignial of the Raf on the buttons -bird surmounted by crown -and could have been taken shortly after enlistment (style of hair etc) where as the 2nd one appears to have been taken, as you have it in 1942, when he was more settled into the RAF. Both the sittings are posed in the way that was common for the time period of 39-45-head and shoulders, what I would call "matinee idol" style.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 February 06 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi old rowley,

Thank you for pointing me more in the right direction and for your thoughts on these two photos!

Kind regards,
Chui

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pwenlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 February 06 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

RAF Ground Crew as he isnt wearing air crew insignia.

Yours aye
Paul
Searching for WENLOCK, DEAKIN, MATTHEWS, CHEW & CHURM.

Researcher of Boer War & WW1 history of the Royal Berkshire Regiment, Oxfordshire Yeomanry (Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars) & Berkshire Yeomanry.

Trustee of the Oxfordshire Yeomanry Trust http://sites.google.com/site/oxfordshireyeomanry
Soldiers of Oxfordshire http://www.sofo.org.uk
& The Berkshire Yeomanry Museum Trust