Author Topic: Genealogy, Scotland Robertson/Robinson  (Read 3943 times)

Offline J. Robertson_r5825

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Genealogy, Scotland Robertson/Robinson
« on: Sunday 18 January 04 23:14 GMT (UK) »
This is my first try at Roots Chat.  I have tried every place else to find my elusive Scotsman.
It looks sort of like Roots Chat is oriented mostly towards England and Ireland, but I will poke around and see.
My problem is that I have a Scotsman who can't be found, tho I have to admit that  I don't have much to go on.
I did find a possible in Lanarkshire, from the IGI, but can't get much from that.  No family listed and just the parents, while I don't know if the Lanarkshire reference is really the one I am chasing.
I have his 8 descendants, and wife.  Otherwise it's like a UFO dropped him off and they got married in Madison county, Kentucky on 24 Nov 1795.

How, why, when or where he arrived in the United  States I have no idea.  He could have come via Canada for all I know.  Not having a specific location of birth, or Emigration from Scotland, I have nothing to go on, other than "Joseph Rainey Robertson (or Robinson?) born 1760-1780, in Scotland."  I don't even have anything on what he did for a living.
With the Rob'son prediliction for changing the spelling of their names at will, he is definitely a mystery.
His wife, Susannah Johnson b. 1760-1780 - no birth location, is as "invisible" as he is.
However, on Susannah, I am beginning to wonder if she may have been of the Cherokee people.  The reason I am wondering this, is the name Johnson is fairly common among  the Cherokee, and the name Mahala was a popular name for Cherokee girls.  AND! they named one of their daughters Mahala!!!!.
It appears that the Scots often married among the Native American tribes.
If any one has any suggestions, I am wide open for them.
I will check on this site as often as I can get back, or an Email is fine, and probably better.
Thanks, John
Robertson/Robinson, Johnson, Ziegner, Gibbs,  my line.
Moore, Bolton, Estes, Collins,  wife's line

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Genealogy, Scotland Robertson/Robinson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 January 04 17:24 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if there is someone in Hamilton, Lanark, Scotland who can lookup the following and see if the listed Joseph Robertson had the middle name of Rainey so I can confirm he is the right one?  Or confirm he isn't the one I need!
NOTE:  On his marriage Lic. 24/26 Nov 1795, he was listed as ROBINSON, so may have been a Robinson.
However, all children have the name of Robertson

Joseph  Robertson
Birth:  11 JUN 1774
 Hamilton, Lanark, Scotland
Marriage:
I have mine married to Susannah  Johnson in KY 1795
 Death:  Died in KY in  1833

Father
James Robertson
Birth:  About 1731
 Of, Hamilton, Lanark, Scotland
Marriage:  08 NOV 1756
 Hamilton, Lanark, Scotland
Death

Mother
Violet Hamilton
Birth:  About 1735
 Of, Hamilton, Lanark, Scotland

Thank you,  and I will share all we have on him and children!  John Robertson
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogy, Scotland Robertson/Robinson
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 March 05 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Due to recently receiving my 25 marker Y DNA results, I have had a bombshell dropped on me.  It turns out that I match 24 of 25 with at least 2 other Robertsons with the same results.
Are there any Robertsons and/or Hamiltons that have found they are related (thru their paternal line "Y DNA), or other source(s)?
I have just found out that my particular line of the Robertsons devolved from the Hamiltons about 200-300 years ago.
It seems that this particular combined line is fairly limited in scope.
If you have hit the proberbial "stone wall" about 1775 +/- 50 years, you may be in this group.
I hit the problem in the marriage of Joseph Rainey Robertson, b. Scotland ca 1775, m. Susannah Johnson 26 Nov 1795 in Madison county KY.
This is all I have on him, other than their 8 known children
I can find nothing on Susannah other than the marriage.
I will answer any Emails
Thanks, John Robertson 

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogy, Scotland Robertson/Robinson
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 May 05 22:06 BST (UK) »
Due to the Hamilton connection, and the fact that it was 'way too far back for censuses, Does anyone know of a way to find information on the family of the above James/Violet/Joseph Robertson?.
 Was Hamilton a Parish of Lanark, or similar to a "county within a State", here in the USA, with Parishes being religious entities within Hamilton?
From this Joseph's birth in relation to the James/Violet marriage, I would imagine several siblings born before him.
Also, the Hamilton connection is becoming clearer since I received my 37 marker upgrade, with some "36 of37" marker matches with the Hamiltons!
It seems there were quite a few Robertson's who went to Virginia, and then the area of  Madison Co. KY about 1795 +/- 20 years, and it is very possible that they relate to my line.
Robertson's, back then, also appear to have married back and forth with the Hamilton lines, to the point that someone said they weren't sure which name they should use!
Any information will be greatly appreciated, as I am trying to confirm or deny that the above Joseph is the son of James and Violet, and is my Joseph Rainey Robertson.
Thanks  John