Author Topic: Re John Morgan Bruce  (Read 3255 times)

Offline nicktree3000

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re John Morgan Bruce
« on: Tuesday 14 February 06 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please help me find any connections to my Grandad John Morgan Bruce Born he lived at 34 Overnewton St, Glasgow dob 10/9/1900? or dod 8/1/56 or 57.He worked as a coal Merchant he married Christine nee Menzies who also had twin sisters called Flora and Josephine Flora was a dressmaker. They moved from Scotland to live in Derby, England.
Regards
Theresa Thomas

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Re John Morgan Bruce
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 February 06 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Theresa

You are on the wrong side of the country posting in East Lothian. Glasgow is Lanarkshire!

The best start you could make would be to look for him as an infant in Overnewton Street. Astreet which hardly exists any more, lots of it knocked down. You would be able to look for him on the 1901 census which is available on scotlandspeople.gov.uk.
 This is a pay to view site but £6 purchases 30 credits and a birth or marriage certifcate , or a census view costs only 6 credits ( 1 credit to check that it is the correct one and 5 credits to actually view the entry) You can download or print off the certificate too.
This will give you his fathers full name and mothers forename as well as any siblings at that address.
Once you have parents names you can find out their marriage date and obtain a certificate. This will then give you their parents names.
Before you start a search look carefully at the advice they give on'searching records'. It will prevent you rushing into it and perhaps wasting credits.

Good luck with your searches

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline nicktree3000

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Re John Morgan Bruce
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help I will try there
Regards
Theresa