Author Topic: kerslake marriage/birth look up Scotland  (Read 737 times)

Offline lisajk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
kerslake marriage/birth look up Scotland
« on: Saturday 18 February 06 18:41 GMT (UK) »
 Would anyone be willing to look up for me the marriage of Frederick Kerslake (b 1894) to a Mary Allen or Allan or Heslin, which would have taken place somewhere between 1910 and 1919.  They had a son born in December 1919 (died 1997).  I'd also like the birth looked up if possible even though I know it happened, but don't know where.  I think he was an only child but can't be sure.

I've searched the English/Welsh records in detail to no avail.  I know these events exist but can't find them.  The reason I think they might have happened in Scotland is because the son lived most of his life in Edinburgh even though his father was born and died in the south-west, and there must be some connection, maybe his mother?  Certainly his mother and father were no longer together by 1939 and I have no idea what happened to her, although I know that she is dead as her son's death certificate states this.

If this is not possible could anyone advise whether this is the sort of query the records office or Scotlands People could answer without it costing a fortune? 

Many thanks
Lisa

Cornwall/Devon: Band, Kerslake, Rakestrow, Strutt
London/Essex: Barber, Osborne
Scotland: Kerslake, Heslin, Allan

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: kerslake marriage/birth look up Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 February 06 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Log on to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and for a fee you will be able to download a copy of the marriage certificate for Frederick Kerslake and Mary Allan or Heslin - 1918 in Burntisland, Fife.

ADP

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: kerslake marriage/birth look up Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 February 06 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Lisa

the records at SP are excellent. For 6 pounds you get 30 credits. A search result page (up to 25 index records) costs 1 credit (20p) and a certificate image costs 5 credits (1 pound - much cheaper than English). You can search for free - but have to pay to see the result of the search. This allows you to prune the searches and get the best value for your 20p. If you think your lady was born / died in Scotland, you should be able to find this, noting that Civil reg in Scotland started in 1855. The Scottish certificates contain much more information than the English - an added bonus. Details are given on the SP site.

The indexes for 1855 to 1875 for births and marriages are on the IGI so you can access them at no charge.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk