Author Topic: Place name please (James Marsh)  (Read 2087 times)

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Place name please (James Marsh)
« on: Sunday 26 February 06 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I have a letter dated 1889 form one brother to another.
The address is
Coal Bluff, Vigo County Indiana State USA.

It talks about sinking Shafts and how much money he had made. How he got drunk and put in Jail. It cost him 105 dollars in fines to get out. How he and some other men where on a hand cart on the railway line and got hit by an engine. 2 men killed, broken legs etc. Long and short of it He writes to his brother for money. The Doc tell him, he can't work for about 3 months.
James never came home. Would like to find out about the place he lived and worked.
Any help would be wonderful
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Place name please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 06 12:42 GMT (UK) »
I have now found he married a Jemima Joan Hane  and they had 2 children.
James Henry born c1901 and Emma Nellie born c1904.

My James is said to have died on 17 Dec 1927 at Seelyville, Terre Haute Vigo, Indiana.
His wife is said to have died on the 27 May 1948 at Highland Lawn, Terre Haute Vigo Indiana.
I have this information off the Latter Day Saints web site, but I don't know who put this information on this site.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 06 12:44 GMT (UK) »
http://www.vigo.lib.in.us/spc/townships/nevins.htm - a bit of information for around 1880 here.
The little village of Coal Bluff is situated on Sec. 8, R. 8. Daniel Webster first commenced to operate for coal on the present location of the village about 1871, and being successful, a village composed mainly of miners soon sprang up. A post-office was established June 8, 1876, with C. M. Stetson as postmaster, who still holds the office. Mr. Webster soon sold his mining interest to the Coal Bluff Mining Company, of Litchfield, Illinois. This company employ about fifty men and mine from 50 to 100 tons of coal per day. The mine is a slope and not a shaft, and the coal bed is about seven feet thick, extending through a hill. The deposit is nearly exhausted at present, when the company will remove to Fountain. Another mine is operated on a small scale below the Webster mine.

http://www.vigo.lib.in.us/ref/electronic_resources.htm - the local public library seems to have quite a bit of info, including some old history books for the area online.

Seeing your added info - this is 'James Marsh'? Jemima Joan Marsh's obituary is listed (1948) on the above library link.  There's also a possible James Marsh d. 1926 instead of 1927 but the age is right.  (You can get copies of the obituaries for $1 apiece).  Also James J. Marsh, two records, late 1967 and early 1968, who I think might be the son (see below).

Also in 1920 in Vigo Co there appears to be James Marsh, b. 1854 (England), Jemima, b. 1869, and James J. Marsh b. 1902 Canada

1930, Terre Haute:
James J. Marsh 1903 (Canada)
Ethel M, 1905
James J, 1926

Census records are from index only.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~herbarkin/Wright%20html/d0080/g0000084.html#I082410 - someone here has this family.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 06 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for all your help.
 ;D
I am going to see if I can find out any thing about his wife and children. I would love to know what happens to James. I have never done any research in the USA before, so here goes.

Many thanks

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 20:34 BST (UK) »
Can any one please help me? I have email the library link Jorose sent me about getting copies of their obituaries but have not had received any thing back. Do they not return emails from overseas?

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 20:57 BST (UK) »
How long ago did you email them?  I know it has taken a month to get a response from some libraries.  Perhaps send them a reminder email.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 22:24 BST (UK) »
I emailed them back in Feb and did a reminder in March.

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 April 06 09:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you Karen for all your help with this. You're a Star  ;D